• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Free Monstrous Compendium Volume II Includes Dragon Highlord Verminaard

Over on D&D Beyond you can grab a copy of Dragonlance Creatures, the second digital official Monstrous Compendium volume. This volume includes entries from the original Dragonlance Chronicles storyline of the 1980s, such as Dragon Highlord Verminaard (at CR 17!) and his dragon, Ember, along with the Forest Master (the unicorn from Darken Wood) and others...

Over on D&D Beyond you can grab a copy of Dragonlance Creatures, the second digital official Monstrous Compendium volume. This volume includes entries from the original Dragonlance Chronicles storyline of the 1980s, such as Dragon Highlord Verminaard (at CR 17!) and his dragon, Ember, along with the Forest Master (the unicorn from Darken Wood) and others.

WotC did the same with Spelljammer, with Volume 1 of the Monstrous Compendium.

FF7C01F1-2434-4126-9532-7D054285ABCA.jpeg

ECF24A65-C14D-4AEF-853E-1771E96F703B.png

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Just to be clear - my memory could be bad! However, I remember people complaining it (spelljammer monsters) wasn't available as a PDF either, and then it was!

These could be lost pages, but none of these monsters are relevant to the adventure as far as I can tell. So it makes sense to release them in a different format IMO.
Yeah, I get that they're not directly relevant to the adventure, though there's usually some monsters in setting/adventure combo bestiaries that are just there to be representative of the setting, not so much of the adventure.

And then there's monsters that are suitable for print that had been cut for page count costs in EVERY D&D release. This just means we get to actually play with those for free. I love these releases.

fjw70

Adventurer
Hmm, Verminaard might be a little too powerful for me. But I think the stats would make a good base for Ariamas. And since I plan to do a mix of SotDQ and the original adventure path Verminaard will die off screen while the PCs are in Kalaman so I won’t need Verminaard stats but I will need Ariana’s stats.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
It's so weird to me that of all things people would complain about the Feywild being considered part of the DL cosmology. After all,anything even vaguely medieval fantasy is going to include a "faeries realm" of some sort, including Krynn.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that I think the Feywild makes for the most logical and broadly lore friendly "transitive plane" for D&D as a general thing. Spelljammer and the Great Wheel only really work in very D&D settings, but every place (except maybe Dark Sun?) has an other world where the fey dwell. Go down the rabbit hole in one world and take a ballon ride out into another!

Weiley31

Legend
Where can I find the PDF version of the very first Monstrous Compendium Vol 1: Spelljammer creatures? I didn't know it became a PDF at some point.

dave2008

Legend
Where can I find the PDF version of the very first Monstrous Compendium Vol 1: Spelljammer creatures? I didn't know it became a PDF at some point.
I heard it was taken down form the WotC site. I just uploaded it to me google drive if you want it: link removed - see the post directly below (it has a link)

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
To confirm what @Nikosandros said above: After WotC acquired D&D Beyond, they shelved their independent plans for a D&D Digital Library, for which the Spelljammer Monstrous Compendium was the first release. So it didn't become a PDF later, so much as start as a simultaneous D&D Digital Library (PDF) and D&D Beyond release and then become a D&D Beyond only release.

@dave2008 uploading someone else's copyrighted content to Google Drive is probably not okay.

If however, somebody had saved the direct link to the file, then you might still be able to grab a copy directly from WotC.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
To confirm what @Nikosandros said above: After WotC acquired D&D Beyond, they shelved their independent plans for a D&D Digital Library, for which the Spelljammer Monstrous Compendium was the first release. So it didn't become a PDF later, so much as start as a simultaneous D&D Digital Library (PDF) and D&D Beyond release and then become a D&D Beyond only release.

@dave2008 uploading someone else's copyrighted content to Google Drive is probably not okay.

If however, somebody had saved the direct link to the file, then you might still be able to grab a copy directly from WotC.
That line seems a little nit-picky to me. The material is available right now, for free, from the content creator.

Remove ads

Remove ads