Free RPG Day - Traveller Book 0

MongooseMatt

First Post
This Saturday (the 21st) is Free RPG Day. All over the world, gamers will be able to go to retailers who have joined the programme, and pick up exclusive RPG swag - absolutely free!

As part of this worthwhile initiative, Mongoose Publishing has produced Book 0: An Introduction to Traveller, containing all the basic rules you need to start exploring the universe. While Book 0 may reappear down the road, this will be the only day it is available in this particular format.

So, whether you are interested in a Traveller collectible, or have been meaning to review the new Traveller game, find a particpating retailer, and grab yourself a copy before they all disappear!

You can find more information about Free RPG Day at;

http://www.freerpgday.com/

Crothian

First Post
I have Traveler already, will it be useful for me? I'm going to the Free RPG event and I'm not just picking things to collect them. If it is basically an intro of things already in the RPG I'll leave it for someone else to enjoy.

Stormborn

Explorer
For those of us who do not have a local store participating in Free RPG Day would you consider making this available via pdf this weekend?

Keith Robinson

Explorer
I grabbed a copy. I've always thought of giving Traveller a go, so this seems like a very good way of going about that :) I've never played before, so how long do you think (in terms of actual gaming hours) it would take (for an inexperienced group) to run this?

Treebore

First Post
The Kyngdoms said:
I grabbed a copy. I've always thought of giving Traveller a go, so this seems like a very good way of going about that :) I've never played before, so how long do you think (in terms of actual gaming hours) it would take (for an inexperienced group) to run this?

Like any other game it depends on the "adventure" decided upon. You can run good games in 3 hours, or you can do a moderately sized story arc that can take 12 to 15 hours. A campaign type story can take years of Saturdays. Once you get the rules down and the characters created its speed of play is comparable to 2E D&D.

The biggest thing with Traveller is ship to ship combat. You must have a game group that have skill sets that allow them to be involved. So they all need to start with, or quickly gain after the game story starts (if they start with ship ownership/travel), a key skill for ship to ship combat. So usually you want one to be the "go to" pilot, one to be your sensor ops, one for each of your ships guns, etc... That way everyone will have something to do.

I haven't looked at the Mongoose rules yet, but I think I am safe to assume that same problem could still show up. Plus it is usually a good idea everyone has some type of firearms skill.

Remove ads