• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free RPG Day

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
It's really surprising to me (and, I must admit, fairly disappointing) to hear so many gamers complain that none of their stores are taking part in this event.

I mean, seriously? It's not even that expensive to put together, and it's virtually guaranteed to bring people in with a little (and I mean _little_) bit of marketing.

It's too bad. It's a great promotion, and I always leave with some unexpected gem. I make a point to buy something at the store, too.

Hmmm.

--Erik
My only hope is the D&D Encounters will bring more people to the hobby, bringing more people to the stores for roleplaying events.

Aegir

First Post
Always kinda surprised me that my area was such a RP deadzone, given that I live in So Cal. I mean damn, the closest participating store is more than 50 miles away.

SquareKnot

Explorer
If stores ever question the value of things like Free RPG Day, perhaps they should consider my story. For my family, Free RPG Day is like a national holiday. We go as a family every year. So around this time of year, I usually go to the Free RPG Day web site to see when it is this year and if my FLGS has signed up yet.

This year, the Free RPG Day web site listed a store in my home town that I had never heard of. Clearly the site was broken, right?

Wrong. There is a game store in my town, about a mile from my house, that I had never heard of. It's been open 7 months. I don't get the local paper or listen to the local radio. I never use the yellow pages. Yes, I live in a bubble.

I went there immediately, bought DMG2, talked to the owners, found out they run Encounters and need DMs, and am going there tonight with my son to game. When they asked how I heard about them, I emphasized that I had found them due to Free RPG Day.

Almost two months before the event, Free RPG Day is already bringing in sales.

Elton Robb

Explorer
Free RPG Day 2010

Are you going? Running something? I need to talk my FLGS into it and let him know I'll read up on the games in the list, even play test sessions of stuff I have never played in order to be ready for the day itself.

Woot! I can't wait, my bet is that I'll get a ton of Dark Sun in on that day.

Looks great. But I think, as an up and coming Artist who's making everyone his distributors, it's always FREE RPG day! :lol:

Thank god for the Computers and the Internet. :cool: B-)

carmachu

Adventurer
The worst part is, there just isn't much that we can do about it. If you have a sucky FLGS that isn't planning on participating in Free RPG Day...or only plans to buy one or two boxes, cherry-pick the goods, and throw the leftovers to the customers...well, you are pretty much hosed.

About the only thing that might work would be to start calling/visiting your FLGS today, and keep calling them every couple of days, asking them about their participation in this event. Get your friends to do likewise. Maybe if you generate enough buzz, they will get with the program.

I just keep spending money elsewhere. What else can you do? I have too many stories with one or two stores its just not worth it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads