Freedom of movement vs grappling

Virago

First Post
I myself would rule that it makes escape attempts on your turn automatically succeed and that even while grappled, you can still attack with weapons normally. This means that you can be grappled (or swallowed whole), but that you aren't suffering as much restriction due to it.

This keeps the spell useful (it is 4th level after all), but also doesn't completely trump all the creatures who have fun, dramatic grapple type attacks. The spell would still protect completely against Evard's black tentacles however, since it is better about cancelling out spells than other things.

I don't think freedom of movement would cancel a paralytic poison, for example.

Due to the wording of the spell though, this is all extremely arguable. I think if someone asked the Sage, his answer would be that freedom of movement does cancel evard's black tentacles, but in no way helps you in a normal grapple situation.

I'm curious about whether it would cancel Otiluke's resilient sphere, if it were very close around the character. I imagine not. Also, I think the Sage's ruling (in the FAQ) on how freedom of movement works underwater makes it nearly worthless for that situation. But now I'm far off topic.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Heck, no!

Freedom of movement protects against any form of magic that impedes movement.

Aside from that general protection, it also allows for normal movement under water.

There is nothing in the spell description that would allow to infer that it protects from being grappled.

Rashak Mani

First Post
hehe... lets complicate this ? What if a Water Elemental is grappling you ?! Does the spell protect you ? :D

(I would say against normal grappling its no good... )

hong

WotC's bitch
Mal Malenkirk said:
Heck, no!

Freedom of movement protects against any form of magic that impedes movement.

Aside from that general protection, it also allows for normal movement under water.

There is nothing in the spell description that would allow to infer that it protects from being grappled.

I don't know about that. I'd allow freedom of movement to allow you escape from handcuffs or shackles, for instance.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
My two cents

This spell enables you or the creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement...

If this read "... move and attack normally for the duration of the spell under the influence of magic ..." if would solve alot of questions. The ",even" is what cause the confusion in interpreting this spell which is almost word for word the same as Free Action from 2e.

IMHO, Freedom of Movement only applies to magical effects and while underwater. I would allow it to negate the effects of quicksand and other natural type of stuff. I would probably allow a +8 circumstance bonus to Escape Artist checks to break physical restrains and grapples. It would not be an instant freedom however.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I believe it would only apply to environmental effects (i.e. water, mud, quicksand, etc.) and magical effects.

It would be of no use mundane effects that actually stop your limbs from being able to move, as opposed to merely slowing you. Thus you would still be stopped by grappling, manacles, rope, doors, etc.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: My two cents

WaterRabbit said:

IMHO, Freedom of Movement only applies to magical effects and while underwater. I would allow it to negate the effects of quicksand and other natural type of stuff. I would probably allow a +8 circumstance bonus to Escape Artist checks to break physical restrains and grapples. It would not be an instant freedom however.

That's probably a good rule. Something like a +10 bonus (nice round number) to Escape Artist and grapple checks to escape a grapple (since not everyone will have maxed-out EA).

Demogorge

First Post
I don't see how it would help you against Evard's, since the tentacles are grappling you... If we're saying it applies to magic effects, could you cast it and walk through a wall of force?

Remove ads