Freelance Columnists Required! The Next Wave Of Tabletop Gaming Writing At EN World

We've been hinting at this for a few months now on social media, but EN World is now ready to roll out the community-generated content program that starts what we hope will be a new wave of tabletop gaming writers and bloggers. We have a set of guidelines up that outline the details of this new program. We're looking for freelance writers to write articles for the news page.

enworld_logo.png

We've been hinting at this for a few months now on social media, but EN World is now ready to roll out the community-generated content program that starts what we hope will be a new wave of tabletop gaming writers and bloggers. We have a set of guidelines up that outline the details of this new program. We're looking for freelance writers to write articles for the news page.

The kinds of articles that we will be looking for in this program:

• News. This can cover a lot of ground as well, being anything from new releases to new companies, to new stores and conventions in the local area. Like with the profiles below, pitch your ideas to the editor and we can work out the approach
  • Industry coverage. We would love to cover a wider cross section of the RPG industry than we currently do. This requires columnists familiar with publishers and games not normally covered in-depth here, or additional aspects of games we do already cover.
  • Commentary on gaming and the gaming community. We have, in the past, published articles talking about harassment and pay in tabletop RPGs, and their communities, and we do not shy away from controversial topics at the site. That said, any opinion pieces are decided on an individual basis, after they are pitched to the editor. Sometimes approval of the site owner may be asked for before the article is approved. If you have an idea, please pitch it to the editor.
  • Gamer-Interest profiles. This can be on a number of topics, from a news piece about a designer launching a new company, to talking about your local gaming store or convention. These sorts of articles should be pitched to the editor in charge of the community-generated content, and the details and approach can be worked out in advance.
  • Short, focused reviews of games, new and old. Reviews should discuss the good and the bad about games. Readers do not like overly glowing reviews that fail to address any negatives about a product, because they come off too much as marketing text, while overly negative reviews can come off as hit pieces. It is fine to dislike something, or to like it, but your review should be a service to the reader and discuss the entire picture of the game.
The articles in this program will be 500 words in length at first and for pay. EN World will pay a flat fee which works out to about $0.04 per word for each of these articles.

Tabletop gaming has a lot of diverse voices in its communities, and we are looking to give a platform to as many of these voices as possible. Preference will be given to writers who are capable of ongoing work. While that single article can help, we will give priority to those who can write at least a couple of articles each month. Writers will need to have an active EN World account, and be able to post their articles to the site. All submissions and enquires must go through the email address linked in the guidelines.

Do you have what it takes to be a part of the next wave of tabletop gaming writing? Click the above and let us know.
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
I have something I would love to submit. Way longer than 500 words. Maybe 1700ish?

What's the policy there? Would you guys cap the pay and still consider the article?

I appreciate EN World for making this opportunity available. It's exciting to have a chance to write for the site, and to know even more gaming content is forthcoming. I've submitted a letter of introduction and several pitch ideas for columns. I'm enthusiastic about the possibilities! :)

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
Tessera Guild

I have something I would love to submit. Way longer than 500 words. Maybe 1700ish?

What's the policy there? Would you guys cap the pay and still consider the article?

The policy would be what is outlined on the writer's guideline page: articles for this program are 400-500 words in length. Longer articles will not be considered.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads