Frieren: Beyond Journey's End anime

I haven't read the manga for this, and was a bit apprehensive to dive into the series as the premise sounded a little… depressing to me. However, I've heard good things about it, so I decided to watch the first episode. It was pretty good.

In the USA it is being streamed by Crunchyroll, and this is how they describe the series:
After the party of heroes defeated the Demon King, they restored peace to the land and returned to lives of solitude. Generations pass, and the elven mage Frieren comes face to face with humanity’s mortality. She takes on a new apprentice and promises to fulfill old friends’ dying wishes. Can an elven mind make peace with the nature of life and death? Frieren embarks on her quest to find out.
It is one of the few fantasy series that is not an isekai (that is someone from a modern time traveling to a fantasy world) currently airing. It had a lot of a Western fantasy feel (not so much Asian aside from the Elven ears), kind of a D&D feel. The series does not focus on combat though so not sure how applicable to many D&D games this would have. Still, seems like it will be an interesting exploration…

Anyone else watching this?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I haven't read the manga for this, and was a bit apprehensive to dive into the series as the premise sounded a little… depressing to me. However, I've heard good things about it, so I decided to watch the first episode. It was pretty good.

In the USA it is being streamed by Crunchyroll, and this is how they describe the series:

It is one of the few fantasy series that is not an isekai (that is someone from a modern time traveling to a fantasy world) currently airing. It had a lot of a Western fantasy feel (not so much Asian aside from the Elven ears), kind of a D&D feel. The series does not focus on combat though so not sure how applicable to many D&D games this would have. Still, seems like it will be an interesting exploration…

Anyone else watching this?

The manga’s great. I haven’t gotten started on the anime yet.

If you’re familiar with Record of Lodoss War this will make more sense. The premise is basically what happens to Deedlit after the humans in the party die of old age.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I’ve been beyond impressed about this series! The animation is some top tier showing off for a TV series anime.

I’ve been singing praises for this slow burn show. But calling it a slow burn is not completely right because the fight sakuga is there.

I can’t wait for the final episodes!

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
It was such an on theme ending. I’m looking forward to rewatching it in the expectation of catching more things that are alluded to having a connection in later episodes. Such as how Flamme’s favorite spell, taught to Frieren, making a field of flowers had been the spell Frieren cast to child-Himmel that inspired adult-Himmel to search Frieren out to complete his hero party. … Who then went on the defeat the Demon King that Flamme hoped for by teaching Frieren magic in the first place.

Remove ads