From 3d6 down the line, an OSR alternative xp system to encourage old school play.

Quickleaf

Legend
3d6 DTL is selling this as a pdf product: Feats of Exploration by 3d6 Down the Line
He playtested it with his group over 50 sessions of mega-dungeon crawling.

The system/guidelines add onto the normal methods of gaining XP in OSR (i.e. Monsters & Gold) with a 3rd option: Exploring the Campaign Environment.

It has a slight dungeon-crawling focus, so you can get XP for things like Apply lore in a useful or flavorful manner, Exploring 5 areas of a dungeon level, Solving a puzzle, Overcoming a trap, Using equipment/abilities in an unorthodox but useful manner, Manipulate/cripple a faction to your benefit, Establish a safe haven, etc. He provides some examples of how you might adjust this list for a certain setting or milieu.

Award values are a % of Total XP Needed to Advance a Level, e.g. from Minor 2% to the extremely rare Campaign 15%.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
3d6 DTL is selling this as a pdf product: Feats of Exploration by 3d6 Down the Line
He playtested it with his group over 50 sessions of mega-dungeon crawling.

The system/guidelines add onto the normal methods of gaining XP in OSR (i.e. Monsters & Gold) with a 3rd option: Exploring the Campaign Environment.

It has a slight dungeon-crawling focus, so you can get XP for things like Apply lore in a useful or flavorful manner, Exploring 5 areas of a dungeon level, Solving a puzzle, Overcoming a trap, Using equipment/abilities in an unorthodox but useful manner, Manipulate/cripple a faction to your benefit, Establish a safe haven, etc. He provides some examples of how you might adjust this list for a certain setting or milieu.

Award values are a % of Total XP Needed to Advance a Level, e.g. from Minor 2% to the extremely rare Campaign 15%.
This reminds me of something Jeff Rients was talking about in 2009, but more granular.

AMP

Explorer
How have I never thought of this before?! This is a great idea. I was just wondering to myself how to best encourage exploration as a game goal and this solves it.

Remove ads