• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Full Attack On Charge / Improving Initiative

vlysses

Explorer
Hi, would greatly appreciate any answers on each of the following questions (it's for a Monk build):

1. Apart from Psionic's Lion Charge (psionics not allowed by the DM), is there any other feat that will enable me to use my full attack (esp. full Flurry of Blows) upon charging?

2. Apart form Warrior Instinct (OA) and of course improved initiative (PHB), is ther eanother way to buff initiative? (traits/flaws excluded also)

Thank you, V

Last edited:

Herzog

Adventurer
1.:
Lion's Charge (Spell Compendium p.133)
Druid 3/Ranger 2
(NB: it's a spell, not a feat)

2:
Increasing Dex seems the most obvious initiative improvement.
You might get some improvement from the 'X stat to Y bonus' thread (don't have the url handy, sorry, use google) which lists ways to make mechanics dependent on a different stat (Cha bonus to AC, etc.)

NewJeffCT

First Post
Hi, would greatly appreciate any answers on each of the following questions (it's for a Monk build):

1. Apart from Psionic's Lion Charge (psionics not allowed by the DM), is there any other feat that will enable me to use my full attack (esp. full Flurry of Blows) upon charging?

2. Apart form Warrior Instinct (OA) and of course improved initiative (PHB), is ther eanother way to buff initiative? (traits/flaws excluded also)

Thank you, V

Battle Hardened is a feat from Races of Stone - +4 save vs Fear effects and +2 to Initiative. But, you need to be a dwarf

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The C.Adv feat that lets you take free spot and listen checks every round als ogives +2 initiative.

Similar to Nerveskitter (+5 init, Spell Compendium) spell, Clerics get Sign, a spell for +4 (same book). The benefit is you can cast it beforehand, because it lasts like 10 min/level until activated. nerveskitter uses up an immediate action when you roll init, which means no swift action the following round (might be annoying for you, I don't know).

C.Champion has a ridiculously overpowered Barbarian varian, Lion Totem, that swaps Fast movement for Pounce at level 1. It is by far the easiest way to get pounce.

There is the level 5 Tiger Claw maneuver, Pouncing Charge. Without a Tome of battle class, though, you can't get it as a feat until level 18, and need a few other feats to qualify for it.

There is a pouncing feat, but it requires you to burn a wildshape usage each time. If you have wildshape, you could just turn into a lion anyway, so it seems rather pointless to me.

Other ways to get a full attack could involve getting bonus 5 ft steps (Boots of Sidestepping; Sudden Leap TC maneuver), having the wizard have his familar fly next toan enemy and then use Benign Transposition to swap its place with yours (level 1 SC spell, works just as good on a wand as prepared), and...I'm sure there's more possibilities.

irdeggman

First Post
Other ways to get a full attack could involve getting bonus 5 ft steps (Boots of Sidestepping; Sudden Leap TC maneuver), having the wizard have his familar fly next toan enemy and then use Benign Transposition to swap its place with yours (level 1 SC spell, works just as good on a wand as prepared), and...I'm sure there's more possibilities.

Won't work with a charge.

You can't take 5 ft steps if you move (like charging) and you need to move at least 10 ft in order to be able to charge. "Move" not take 5 ft steps.

Trouvere

Explorer
A character or cohort with 1 level of Marshal and 5 levels of Dread Commando can grant 5+Cha to the initiative of everyone in the party, all the time.

A cleric with the Nobility domain can 1/day provide a +2 morale bonus to ability checks (which an initiative check is), as well as some other things.

A Luckstone provides a +1 luck bonus to initiative and other things.

vlysses

Explorer
All, many thanks, these are all very good suggestions, some of which I might be able to actually use... ;-) Problem being that our DM is ver restricitve in the use of too many different books ;-(

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Won't work with a charge.

You can't take 5 ft steps if you move (like charging) and you need to move at least 10 ft in order to be able to charge. "Move" not take 5 ft steps.

Oh, it has to be a full attack as part of a charge? Then it really is only pounce, AFAIK. I thought the OP would be ok with anything that would potentially let him close the distance to the enemy and still full attack.

Remove ads