• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Full list of official advantage / disadvantage situations?

Melba Toast

First Post
I think that most of the time during combat is where usually the rules state clearly when to have or not have advantages. Out of combat however there are situations in which dm whim is more prominent

I suppose you are right.

Is this list exhaustive?

Advantage on your attack if . .
if the attacker is invisible
if the attacker has higher ground
if the attacker is flanking or attacking from behind
if the defender is blinded
if the defender is incapacitated
if the defender is paralyzed
if the defender is prone within 5 feet of the attacker
if the defender is restrained
if the defender is stunned
if the defender is unconcious
if the defender is squeezing through a space

Disadvantage on the attack if . .
the attacker is blinded
the attacker is frightened and within sight of the source of the fear
the attacker is poisoned
the attacker is prone
the attacker is restrained
the attacker is making a ranged attack while within 5 feet of a hostile creature
the defender is invisible
the defender is using the Dodge action
the defender is at long range from a ranged attack

Or is there anything missing?

redrick

First Post
I suppose you are right.

Is this list exhaustive?

Some of the situations listed are optional rules. For instance, "flanking" is an optional rule in the DMG. Many players don't like it, because it is much easier to get than in some earlier editions. (Since an Attack of Opportunity is only triggered when you leave the reach of an opponent, it is very easy to circle around an opponent with a fraction of your movement speed.) I'm also not so sure about the "higher ground." I don't believe that is covered under the standard combat rules. The DM is instead left to evaluate "superior position" on a case by case basis.

The list of conditions is your friend. It will resolve most of the codified advantage/disadvantage situations that aren't created by a specific spell effect or class feature. It will also tell you all the other relevant things about that condition that you might not remember. (For instance, a creature who is stunned automatically fails strength and dexterity saves.)

Beyond that, when something comes up, ask yourself, "is this circumstance a big deal?" If the answer is no, ignore it. If the answer is yes, apply advantage or disadvantage. "Not that big a deal" counts as no.

I would probably recommend you commit to memory the opposite — the few situations in the rules which are not covered by advantage/disadvantage. Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of is cover.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Ahh yes higher ground was one I added in. I was going down a Pathfinder list looking for things. Most of the list comes from the list of conditions, just listed differently.

And yes, we use the flanking. The players.

And me >;^)

Bayonet

First Post
I suppose you are right.

Is this list exhaustive?

There are likely a thousand things missing. The idea is that Adv/Dis is a simple mechanic that the DM can impose anytime they feel it makes sense.

"Nah, that Halfling's still greased up from getting thrown into the barrel of cod oil; you have disadvantage on that grapple."

"I'll give you advantage on that CHA check since your background mentions you and this Half-orc Librarian went to Grade School together."

" Your character's been eating custard!? Ugh, Disadvantage on everything for the next ten rounds... Why? BECAUSE I HATE CUSTARD AND I HATE YOU, RICK!"

Remove ads