Full Release when?

McTreble

First Post
I just disbanded my 4e game (cinematic TPK situation coupled with a lot of real world commitments) and I told em all that when we next pick up the game, it'll be to usher in 5e. In my mind, that means Aug 2013.

Think it'll be next GenCon? Now I know that the baseline answer is filled with a lot of "if"s and "as long as"s, but I gotta think that it's their goal to roll this puppy out by then.

This year has a scant few items left for retail release. The Menzo book, Greenwood's Realms book... a map pack and dungeon tile set, maybe some novels? DDI is looking pretty empty except for 5e stuff. Dungeon Command could be a good source, but who knows?

Makes me think that Big Brother Hasbro is watching the clock on a division whose release schedule is damn near empty. Mearls and co. need to be paid, and the lights need to be on in the building, even without the money rolling in. They can't realistically let this thing hold out till 2014, can they?

My theory? GenCon 2013 gets the following products, along with HUGE marketing pushes: PHB, DMG, MM, Tactical Rules Module, 3-5 adventures designed to showcase game's flexibility.

Everything else, even if ready to roll, gets sold throughout the next year, keeping a consistent schedule (but not an overwhelming one, as was 4e's 1st two years)

delericho

Legend
I just disbanded my 4e game (cinematic TPK situation coupled with a lot of real world commitments) and I told em all that when we next pick up the game, it'll be to usher in 5e. In my mind, that means Aug 2013.

I suspect that's right. Indeed, I thought I saw mention of this in the "5e info" section of this site, although I don't think WotC have confirmed anything.

My theory? GenCon 2013 gets the following products, along with HUGE marketing pushes: PHB, DMG, MM, Tactical Rules Module, 3-5 adventures designed to showcase game's flexibility.

I suspect this isn't right, though. My guess would be the PHB/DMG/MM set, maybe a Starter Set (that is, they really should release this on Day One, but I doubt it somehow), and probably an adventure. The Tactical Rules Module may actually be found in the DMG itself, but I think we'll be waiting a while before any expansion modules hit.

Shadeydm

First Post
The smart play would be to have the basic modules to emulate each edition ready to go at launch. Idk if that means a DMG for each or a chapter for each. The big question then becomes can those be ready and how long can they wait for them before financial needs/issues force the launch.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Gencon 2013 is what signs currently point to, though I'm a little nervous about that given factors like Monte's departure and the delay of the next playtest.

As for what they release?

I really hope they put out a starter set, but I'm not counting on it.

Other than that probably just the core three plus (maybe) one adventure. They'll probably want to space things out, both for the sake of the developers and the consumers.

On or around GenCon is the easy money.

Their first deadline is likely before, so everyone has the books for GenCon and the big release for the Con can be something else, like the Realms. And that way they can talk about what's next rather than 5e still being news.

But GenCon itself is the fall back date if they aren't quite done. They might ave a preview at GenCon and release after.

Hard date is prior to Thanksgiving. No way they go into a second holiday season without books.

pauljathome

First Post
In 2013, I bet they will release a preview game, as when they introduced 4th edition.

Don't expect a full release until 2014.

I think that they're more likely to shelve DnD Next entirely than they are to delay it until 2014.

If something very substantial isn't ready by Gencon 2013 then I think it will be killed (or "indefinitely postponed").

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I agree: summer 2013. Or should be.

That means play-testing probably has to be over by January, at the latest.

Which is the problem, at the rate they seem to be going...

Mercurius

Legend
My guess, or hope really, is that they release a starter set in June of 2013 (levels 1-5 with basic rules only, along with an adventure from 1-3), followed by an expansion adventure (lvls 3-5) in July and the three core books at Gen Con, with the core setting in the next month and the whole dang thing starts over again.

Remove ads