• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Furious Smash - Damage Question

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
A related question: When you crit with a no-damage-roll power (or as a minion, for that matter), obviously, 'maximum damage' is meaningless, but, if you're using a high-crit or magical weapon or have devestating critical, do you get the extra di(c)e for the crit?

As long as the power actually deals damage, you should be fine: "An attack that does not deal damage still does not deal damage on a critical hit."

So if a cleric has a holy symbol that deasl +1d6 damage on a critical, and he crits with Cause Fear, the 1d6 does not apply, because Cause Fear deals no damage.

But if the warlord crits with Furious Smash, the critical die should apply, because the attack deals damage, even though there's no damage roll.

-Hyp.

Tony Vargas

Legend
So, naturally, the next question is "if I'm rolling crit damage, that's a damage roll, isn't it?" ;)

I don't buy it - afterall, you don't double-dip on on 'damage roll' bonuses when you crit - but I could see the argument.

Or, here's another one: If you're a striker and tacking on your extra di(c)e of damage to a fixed damage attack (maybe via multiclassing one way or another), doesn't it then have a 'damage roll?'

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
So, naturally, the next question is "if I'm rolling crit damage, that's a damage roll, isn't it?" ;)

Or, here's another one: If you're a striker and tacking on your extra di(c)e of damage to a fixed damage attack (maybe via multiclassing one way or another), doesn't it then have a 'damage roll?'

PHB p276 says "DAMAGE ROLLS: Roll the damage indicated in the power description."

Implication is that if it's not "the damage indicated in the power" you're using to attack with, even if it involves rolling for damage, it's not a damage roll; it's just extra damage.

If I sneak attack with my multiclassed Furious Smash, the damage indicated in the power is just an ability modifier, not a roll, so there is no damage roll. In addition to the damage dealt by the power, I also roll some extra damage for the sneak attack class feature, but this rolled damage is not a damage roll.

-Hyp.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
PHB p276 says "DAMAGE ROLLS: Roll the damage indicated in the power description."

Implication is that if it's not "the damage indicated in the power" you're using to attack with, even if it involves rolling for damage, it's not a damage roll; it's just extra damage.

-Hyp.

Ok.

Now.

What happens when you attack with fool's opportunity. There's still a damage roll and the damage is indicated in the power. Do you get such bonuses then?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
It's effectively the Commander's Strike question, right?

-Hyp.

Except the power doesn't actually force the foe to make a basic attack against itself: the foe doesn't make an attack roll, and it doesn't apply secondary effects and the like. It "takes damage as if it were hit by its own melee basic attack".

GorTeX

First Post
page 57 of the PHB, in the "HIT" section, paragraph 5
Some Powers add modifiers to the attack rolls or damage rolls. These modifiers apply to any roll of the dice, but not to ongoing damage or other static, nonvariable effects

Darn..that is what I've been thinking of, but it isn't what I thought it was..

The wording for Furious Smash is very similar to the Fighter Power Cleave. I've been under the impression that for Cleave, you just do you STR mod damage ( a non-variable amount, yes, it can change as you go up levels, but when you use the power, your strength mod does not change) with no modifiers at all. I thought there was a FAQ, errata, or something that said this for cleave, but I can't find it now..

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I've been under the impression that for Cleave, you just do you STR mod damage ( a non-variable amount, yes, it can change as you go up levels, but when you use the power, your strength mod does not change) with no modifiers at all.

No modifiers that apply to damage rolls, certainly!

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads