Fury over Black Hermione Granger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Phil is the son of a white woman of English ethnicity, and a black immigrant from Guyana (Caribbean coast of South America). Phil is ethnically both white and black. However, he grew up with his maternal grandmother in Ireland, and identifies himself as fully Irish ethnicity. Indeed, his wife is white. Likely, his descendants will cease to be black.

I can't speak for the mentality of blacks in the UK, but in the USA, those bolded phrases would largely be considered laughable among blacks, Africans and Carribeans.

Cor Azer

First Post
In the USA, African and Carribean émigrés do resent being lumped in with American blacks...and vice versa. There ARE cultural differences, though white supremacists don't make those fine distinctions.

I suspect that the experiences of those subgroups in the UK are roughly analogous- most differences are infra, and the dominant culture at large is largely clueless as to what matters and why.

That said, I strongly suspect that the actual demographic distribution of Black British vs Africans and Black Carribeans in the UK is not skewed in the way Yaarel suggests.

Oh, for sure, ethnicity in some contexts is relevant.

I specifically meant why is it relevant in this case (ie, given that no ethnicity has been stated for Hermione, let alone skin colour).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's Sir Lenny Henry. He's a knight, y'know.

Which is as much a definition of 'ethnically British' as anything else I can think of!
Forgot about his knighthood!

Then again, I don't usually place the honorifics in front of most people's names in informal circumstances. :)

Mallus

Legend
It seems to me, in the last decade or two, the Leftists have started to lose their humanity. Erasing ethnic diversity, and imposing cultural homogeneity, is conformist, totalitarian, and tyrannical.
So the existence of a Black Hermione and British Idris Elba add up to White erasure and Leftist tyranny.

I suppose the Black woman cast as Hamlet amounts to a full-fledged declaration of war, eh?

It is wrong to destroy white cultures, by delegitimization and disintegration.
Where, precisely, is this happening? Outside of paranoid white guy fantasies.

Humans are different from each other. I like diversity.
It kinda sounds like you like some sort of ethnonationalism.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Charlie Chan and Asian villains in film noir movies routinely played by whites.
The Charlie Chan films neatly illustrates the contrast between the ideal and the reality of race in America.

In the America of the films Chan is a famous, universally-respected police detective.

In the real America he has to be played by a succession of 3 white guys.

(though his #1 son is played by Keye Luke).

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
Where in the context of this discussion is that supposedly happening?

The peer pressure of anti-male anti-white political correctness, and the extremes of the groupthink of the leftwing is drifting toward a genocide of white cultures.

Not least, in the European Union, leftwing politicians intentionally import unsustainably massive Noneuropean populations into Europe, even populations that are hostile against Europe, precisely to genocide native European ethnicities.

The Leftwing is swinging way too far. I hope the pendulum starts swinging in the other direction.

Optimal health is somewhere between the extremes of ethnic distinctiveness and human universalism.

It is wrong to try erase white ethnicities.

MechaPilot

Explorer
The peer pressure of anti-male anti-white political correctness, and the extremes of the groupthink of the leftwing is drifting toward a genocide of white cultures.

Not least, in the European Union, leftwing politicians intentionally import unsustainably massive Noneuropean populations into Europe, even populations that are hostile against Europe, precisely to genocide native European ethnicities.

The Leftwing is swinging way too far. I hope the pendulum starts swinging in the other direction.

Optimal health is somewhere between the extremes of ethnic distinctiveness and human universalism.

It is wrong to try erase white ethnicities.

Not be a broken record, but again you are ascribing motives not in evidence. The white author is fine with it. The white actress who played the character in the popular films is also okay with it. The white actors who will be in the play with her are okay with it. No one is erasing white people.

Yaarel

He Mage
Not be a broken record, but again you are ascribing motives not in evidence. The white author is fine with it. The white actress who played the character in the popular films is also okay with it. The white actors who will be in the play with her are okay with it. No one is erasing white people.

Hermione is a pop icon, a famous and beloved white character.

There is pervasive social pressure to erase - to genocide - white ethnic identities.

To kill Hermione as a white character, and replace her with a different black character, raises red flags about our cultures.

Succumbing to this immoral peer pressure is problematic.

It might well be Rowling supports the destruction of the white identity of Hermione. As far as I understand, Hermione is a Mary Sue of Rowling herself, albeit Rowlings self-depreciation makes this an appealing use of a Mary Sue. It might be, that making Hermione a black character, helps Rowlings distance herself from her.

Nevertheless, there are societal trends that are antihuman and concerning, especially among the Left.

The erasure of white characters is part of a larger trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads