Future of D&D Miniatures

pawsplay

Hero
So its not a matter of economics, as you previously indicated. It seems your argument goes from "its cheaper", to "they're more expensive, but I don't like some of the sculpts". Its moving your goalposts.

No, it's not. For me, Reaper minis are substantially cheaper in many cases. Note that I did not claim every single Reaper mini is cheaper than every single DDM. If anyone is manipulating the goalposts, it's you. I made the most relevant comparisons from my point of view. You are free to make different comparisons.

As far as the cherry pick argument, I'm pointing out your choice of a rare from the first set to compare, when a much more sensible move would have been to pick any of the other evil looking warriors out there (kharsite fighter, anti paladin, etc).

Why not compare it to Farmer Brown, while you're at it? I picked the blackguard because it has a certain look, and because I have experience with trying to acquire the figure without overspending. I like the kharsite fighter, but it's not the same kind of figure.

I did not specify the anti paladin because I do not consider it equivalent in quality.

Not with shipping. Also, the Bathalian is a much better looking figure.

Actually, with shipping. You first have to have a game store in your area with the figure. None of mine do, and frankly even if they did, its faster and cheaper to order online, with 3.50 flat shipping (or free for a $75 order from mini market) than drive across town, and sift through all their disorganized crap. I get my orders within 3 days, shipped to my door. Cheaper, wider selection, and more convenient.

Well, I bought mine at the mall. Piece of cake.

Skullcrusher ogre is also cheaper, if you prefer a more armored choice.

Hate it.

I do actually like that figure, and have him painted from metal. If reaper had focused more on things that are getting increasingly impractical to get in metal, I think they would have done better. A metal giant is in the neighborhood of 15-30 bucks now.

Most of DDM rares are around 4 bucks lately in the online singles area. That's roughly the price of reapers common level grunts.

That's because most DDM rares are not popular figures in the first place. Whereas Reaper grunts cost about the same as Reaper "rares".... in other words, Reaper minis don't get made if they aren't at a certain level of quality. I've already stated the price you pay for this subsidization; any rares worth having are hideously expensive, often several times as expensive as their equally rare but less useful/interesting/attractive/fashionable brethren.

Jhaelen

First Post
That's because most DDM rares are not popular figures in the first place. Whereas Reaper grunts cost about the same as Reaper "rares".... in other words, Reaper minis don't get made if they aren't at a certain level of quality. I've already stated the price you pay for this subsidization; any rares worth having are hideously expensive, often several times as expensive as their equally rare but less useful/interesting/attractive/fashionable brethren.
I disagree.

I also basically stopped using reaper minis once I had accumulated a reasonable base of DDM minis. Imho, DDM minis are generally cheaper, look better and are more practical.

avin

First Post
I did not specify the anti paladin because I do not consider it equivalent in quality.

I have to agree, it's a very clumsy pose.

This is a better mini for this purpose:

X_200_200_80331_CN_RGB150dpi.jpg

I have a few Reaper miniatures, I like them, but they are fragile to transport and play...

Remove ads