• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Future of D&D Miniatures

Human Blackguard -> Evil Human Fighter
Mind Flayer Telepath -> Bathalian
Large Red Dragon -> Young Dragon

Unless you are talking about buying a case at a time, Legendary Encounters is way cheaper.

That's a pretty blatant cherry pick ya got there.

Really? The blackguard? You really couldnt have gone with any of the dozens of sword and shield guys from the multiple sets easily available for 2 bucks or less? Or the male human (anti) paladin from the Players Handbook series, easily available cheaper?

Concord Illithid (rare) is cheaper than the Bathalian

Large red ya got me. 12 bucks vs 6. Though the DDM one is significantly bigger.

So lets look at some others.

Ogre Pulverizer (demonweb) is cheaper than their ogre
Gargoyle (DoD) is cheaper than theirs.
Pretty much any uncommon/common bugbear (lancebreaker, blood ghost berserker etc)is cheaper than theirs, and fits in its space.
Elf Archer (DoD) is cheaper than their elf archer
Unicorn
Savage Minotaur is cheaper than minotaur of the maze

So find me some elementals. Or ghouls. Or halflings. Or female characters. Large skeletons or zombies? You know... basic stuff I can get for a buck or two in DDM.

Or better yet... find me a rust monster. Or demons, or anything but the most basic crap?

Because that's pretty much what their line is limited to, since every sculpt has to justify itself in individual unit sales.

I buy some reaper minis, but they specialize in humanoid and PC models. My games dont.

Anyone remotely internet savvy can do well in online single sales, and have a wider selection in DDM.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
3 & 4 are the same - but it seemed to flow better that way :)

I'll pick apart your run-on points next time Merrick!

*shakes fist*

I don't have run-on points. I ramble instead. :)

I do think you have a very good point about how the market now has available to it a very large number of common minis. This is a Good Thing. Not for the D&D Mini line, as you point out, but for gamers in general. I'm isolated from it due to the shipping costs to Australia, but if you live in the States you're going to be able to pick up a lot of minis you need very cheaply.

What happens now, though? It's likely these commons will persist for a few years, but after that the opportunity will come back for another "high" run of figures to get things back to the saturation level.

It's worth noting that we had about 6 years worth of D&D Minis at a fairly rapid pace; that's a pretty impressive run.

Cheers!

Steel_Wind

Legend
It's worth noting that we had about 6 years worth of D&D Minis at a fairly rapid pace; that's a pretty impressive run.

I think the pace is what harmed the lines, ultimately. I am not sure when the Glut hit - though I am very sure that someone from Diamond Comic Distributors Inc. could tell you precisely when that moment occurred.

My guess is that the timing was about the same time as the announcement of 4E at Gencon in 2007, though that does not necessarily mean that the 3E to 4E transition was the cause. I think it was more coincidence than anything.

I think that the fact that I can still buy War of the Dragon Queen boosters at MSRP tells me that the glut happened about then. WotC would have been better served to have reduced the numbers of minis sold to distributors to ensure that scarcity of the retail boosters continued. That when something went Out of print - it meant "no longer available at retail" not - "no longer available from the manufacturer".

For example, it is nigh impossible to find boosters form the first five sets or so of DDM. Any boosters prior to War of the Dragon Queen are also very hard to find from any source.

But after that point in time? Not so.

Had WotC scaled back the development pace, or alternatively, had reduced the numbers of boosters they released per expansion, they might not have saturated the market as badly as they had and the whole thing might have stumbled on through the release of 4E.

That said, I expect that there were economies of scale and continuous production issues that militated in favor of the brisk pace they released DDMS at. I can well imagine that the infrastructure and the # of employees involved in designing and arranging for the production of DDM and SW minis became a fixed cost for Wizards, and to get the most value out of those fixed costs, increasing the production numbers and rapidity of product releases seemed a very good idea at the time.

I also expect that production facilities were more cheaply arranged by Hasbro with the promise of more or less uninterrupted production runs, from one set to the next.

In short - there probably appeared to be very good reasons at the time to release the products in the volumes that they released them in and at the pace they were released at. It was only in hindsight when the oversaturation hit that WotC realized that supply was far outstripping demand more than they had planned. But at that point, I think it became too late to do anything about it when the 3E/4E effect hit them as well.

After that, it was all over but the crying.

On a happier note, having decided to run a Star Wars: Saga Edition campaign since January, I've been buying Star Wars minis at quite a brisk pace. And I assure you, the numbers of Star Wars minis available in the secondary market for RPG use is - in a word - AWESOME.

I have amassed a collection of about well over 1,000 minis now in the past three months for... $480? something like that. And less than a 10th of those were bought as randoms. I've bought hundreds and hundreds of commons and uncommons. And seeing as I have had the pick of production across 16 lines, let me assure you - that is a very healthy and EXTREMELY usable selection of minis to play a Star Wars RPG campaign with.

I'm damned pleased with my SW minis collection - which is a FAR more usable mini collection for gaming purposes than my DDM collection is. I just wish I could pick up DDMs for as cheap as SW minis. *sigh* I've become spoiled, I fear.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm damned pleased with my SW minis collection - which is a FAR more usable mini collection for gaming purposes than my DDM collection is. I just wish I could pick up DDMs for as cheap as SW minis. *sigh* I've become spoiled, I fear.

You can never have too many stormtroopers. :)

I just wish the Star Wars RPG campaign I'm playing on could get back on track. The GM has been terribly ill for the past 3 months, and every time he seems to be getting better, he relapses. It's just too worrying.

pawsplay

Hero
That's a pretty blatant cherry pick ya got there.

Feel free to elaborate what you mean by "cherry pick," but I just went with the first three I thought of that have frustrated me for a long time. If they would put out the "Eye Creature" in plastic I would be a truly happy kitty...

Really? The blackguard? You really couldnt have gone with any of the dozens of sword and shield guys from the multiple sets easily available for 2 bucks or less?

I could, but most of them don't have "evil armor."

Or the male human (anti) paladin from the Players Handbook series, easily available cheaper?

I hate that figure.

Concord Illithid (rare) is cheaper than the Bathalian

Not with shipping. Also, the Bathalian is a much better looking figure.

Ogre Pulverizer (demonweb) is cheaper than their ogre

It's also a low quality figure. Whereas the Reaper ogre is actually pretty cool, although I prefer a more bestial looking ogre, like the Harbinger ogre.

Gargoyle (DoD) is cheaper than theirs.
Pretty much any uncommon/common bugbear (lancebreaker, blood ghost berserker etc)is cheaper than theirs, and fits in its space.

Sure, sure. I think many of us are already familiar with the bugbear surprlus situation.

Elf Archer (DoD) is cheaper than their elf archer

I never liked that figure much. I really like the Reaper elf archer, probably better than all but a couple of the DDM ones.

If you like the My Little Ponycorn. Traditional white is going to cost you.

Savage Minotaur is cheaper than minotaur of the maze

True.

So find me some elementals. Or ghouls. Or halflings. Or female characters. Large skeletons or zombies? You know... basic stuff I can get for a buck or two in DDM.

Or better yet... find me a rust monster. Or demons, or anything but the most basic crap?

Because that's pretty much what their line is limited to, since every sculpt has to justify itself in individual unit sales.

I buy some reaper minis, but they specialize in humanoid and PC models. My games dont.

Anyone remotely internet savvy can do well in online single sales, and have a wider selection in DDM.

Not a problem for me. I'll buy anything that does the job. The buckets of decent DDM stuff for a $.99 apiece is one of the benefits of the randomized packs, but the price is very stiff. If you want something specific, and it happens to be a rare, the price shoots way up. I sold some of my minis because I didn't feel I could afford not to sell singles worth $30 or more.

Steel_Wind

Legend
You can never have too many stormtroopers. :)

I just wish the Star Wars RPG campaign I'm playing on could get back on track. The GM has been terribly ill for the past 3 months, and every time he seems to be getting better, he relapses. It's just too worrying.

Actually, in my case, you can. My campaign is set in the same era as BioWare's The Old Republic MMO.

So for me, I can't have too many Sith or Mandalloreans. I also have gone in for Droids in any flavor, in any era, as a potential foe. I've also bought Fringers/aliens in a big way - though my Fringers tend to be more "one of him and him and him and him", as opposed to "10 of those, 10 of those - and twenty of those, too."

Whatever the case, if the players are looking for a "cantina effect" of minis in a bar - "can do" :)

Add in the fact that Star Wars inherently accomodates easy repurposing of a miniature with visual verisimilitude preserved nicely (whereas in D&D, a Troll to be a Troll has to, well... be a Troll) and it's just a Geekgasm of Plastic.

Sorry to hear about your SW campaign - and sorrier still that an illness has persisted for so many months. That sounds a lot like illness= new girlfriend/unhappy spouse or, worse, a far more serious illness with life changing/threatening implications.

Hope your friend is okay and gets well soon.

I got lucky and got into DDM in a big way in Spring 2006 - when there seemed to be a huge surplus of commons/uncommons. Looking back over my e-bay receipts from Auggies, I was picking up a ton of of humanoids, animals, and various humans for under $0.40 a figure. I'm not sure if it was the change in distribution model or the pricing increases, but you can't get a common figure from the latest sets for anything below 60 cents.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Sorry to hear about your SW campaign - and sorrier still that an illness has persisted for so many months. That sounds a lot like illness= new girlfriend/unhappy spouse or, worse, a far more serious illness with life changing/threatening implications.

Hope your friend is okay and gets well soon.

I hope so too. He's lost about 14 kg, and he wasn't big to begin with. He's been able to play in our D&D games recently, but hasn't been up to running games.

Feel free to elaborate what you mean by "cherry pick," but I just went with the first three I thought of that have frustrated me for a long time. If they would put out the "Eye Creature" in plastic I would be a truly happy kitty...

I could, but most of them don't have "evil armor."

I hate that figure.

So its not a matter of economics, as you previously indicated. It seems your argument goes from "its cheaper", to "they're more expensive, but I don't like some of the sculpts". Its moving your goalposts.

As far as the cherry pick argument, I'm pointing out your choice of a rare from the first set to compare, when a much more sensible move would have been to pick any of the other evil looking warriors out there (kharsite fighter, anti paladin, etc).

Not with shipping. Also, the Bathalian is a much better looking figure.
[/quote[

Actually, with shipping. You first have to have a game store in your area with the figure. None of mine do, and frankly even if they did, its faster and cheaper to order online, with 3.50 flat shipping (or free for a $75 order from mini market) than drive across town, and sift through all their disorganized crap. I get my orders within 3 days, shipped to my door. Cheaper, wider selection, and more convenient.

It's also a low quality figure. Whereas the Reaper ogre is actually pretty cool, although I prefer a more bestial looking ogre, like the Harbinger ogre.

Skullcrusher ogre is also cheaper, if you prefer a more armored choice. I do actually like that figure, and have him painted from metal. If reaper had focused more on things that are getting increasingly impractical to get in metal, I think they would have done better. A metal giant is in the neighborhood of 15-30 bucks now.

Most of DDM rares are around 4 bucks lately in the online singles area. That's roughly the price of reapers common level grunts.

Remove ads