• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Galactica news

Darrin Drader

Explorer
So my question to you JDavis, is this. I know you didn't care for the BSG mini as much as I did. If this does go to series, will you watch it on a weekly basis?

jdavis

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
So my question to you JDavis, is this. I know you didn't care for the BSG mini as much as I did. If this does go to series, will you watch it on a weekly basis?
It depends, see I took Edward james Olmos's advice and went out and bought the box set of the original, I didn't remember how good it actually was (I have only watched a handful of episodes and I know there are some real stinkers coming up). On the one hand it gets me excited about anything Galactica on the other it gets me mad at all the things I didn't like in the new one. I'll give it a episode or two (because deep down I'm a TV masochist) and see if they at least listened to some of the critics and cleaned up the acting and dialog. As bad as I disliked it there was some stuff that I enjoyed (Baltar could carry the show for me). I have to wonder if they haven't worked their way into a corner with the "only so many models of cylons" bit? So many of the old shows were done on planets having shootouts with cylons and they can't afford to cgi their cylons into primary roles, how can you have a battle with one human shaped cylon? If they try to delve into the interpersonal relationships of these one dimensional ultradepressed chaaracters then I'm out of there, no need for a space soap opera, give me some shooting and some action and I'll give anything a shot (I even gave Tremors the series a shot, well half a shot, I'm not that much of a masochist).

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I have to admit that you have a point with the CGI cylons. I don't know how they'll be able to use them if they always have to CGI them. On the other hand, one of the things 6 said was that the old walking toaster models still exist and serve a purpose. I took that to mean that they may still serve as grunts. If that's the case then the terminator models could be the elite forces and we'll still occasionally see the walking toasters.

Last edited:

jdavis

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
I have to admit that you have a point with the CGI cylons. I don't know how they'll be able to use them if they always have to CGI them. On the other hand, one of the things 6 said was that the old walking toaster models still exist and serve a purpose. I took that to mean that they may still serve as grunts. If that's the case then the terminator models could be the elite forces and we'll still occasionally see the walking toasters.
We'll see how they handle it, I got a feeling they just worked themselves into a corner trying to save money for the miniseries. I mean I never liked the Human cylon thing but I could accept it if they were just another model of cylon developed for infiltration, but I got a feeling they are the "evolved" cylons and rule the roost so to speak and I don't care for that. If they don't have episodes where they land of planets and fight cylons then what are they going to have in episodes (they stated they didn't want to use cylons in suits, that's why they went with CGI). I worry abotu the fact the writer is a Star Trek writer, I really don't want my good time action adventure show to turn into some kind of soap or some kind of preachy moral play. Lets face it I'm in it for the action (something the miniseries was woefully lacking).

You know I think I'm going to go watch a old episode before I go to bed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads