Gale as a love interest?

Empirate

First Post
Aaaand another short question concerning my ongoing Zeitgeist campaign, currently nearing the end of Skyseer: one of the players had already expressed an interest in entangling himself in a romantic subplot. No problem usually, but his PC is a halfling gunslinger/paladin, and

a. halflings have so far been portrayed as the targets of mild racism (more the "those-guys-cannot-be-taken-seriously" kind than the "let-them-burn-in-hell" kind of racism),

b. he's from a rural background, with most of his family working a mango plantation as indentured labor, so he's not really what you'd call polished or educated, even though he's extremely polite all the time,

c. he's often very, very uptight in that paladinesque officer-of-the-law way of his,

d. his duty doesn't allow for much free time. Most obviously, not during Skyseer!

I thought long and hard about the kind of romance plot this character might be part of. I didn't want to include an obvious halfling NPC ("looky here, that's your love interest, now take an evening off wooing her, after that it's back to the story!"). In fact, I'd rather take an established NPC from the adventure path, to further immersion in the story - compromising interests is always fun. However, there haven't been that many female NPCs so far, at least not of the eligible, potentially interested sort.

I finally thought about Gale, whom the PCs were just about to meet after helping Nevard. So I whipped out my imaginary shrink ray and made Gale rather short, afflicting her with a genetical defect that made her a perfectly proportioned three foot ten high elf. The meeting went well and all, with Gale and the PC in question engaging in a bit of philosophical debate about what's best for Risur's future. Gale's magical canary seems to have taken a liking to our halfling, as well...

So far, so good. However, I'm worried about what happens in later adventures. I haven't read farther than Digging for Lies yet, but I know Gale is scheduled for further appearances - do you foresee any potentially plot-ruining problems with Gale as a love interest?

ediz

Explorer
So a paladin would hook up with a terrorist? A bit of a stretch.
You could always use one of the contacts that the PC created to be a love interest.

Alleged terrorist.

In 5, Gale makes a badly-worded deal with a lord of the Unseen Court and is compelled to fight the party. After that we don't make any assumptions - she might be dead, or might be chilling out in Flint. There's a chance she ends up as city governor, but she's not front and center in the plot long-term.

Or you could gender swap Tinker Oddcog, but I don't foresee Tinker getting on with a paladin.

Empirate

First Post
So a paladin would hook up with a terrorist? A bit of a stretch.
You could always use one of the contacts that the PC created to be a love interest.

She made a good impression on the group at the meeting, and I had made a point of the fact that she hasn't killed anyone. The more gruesome acts of terrorism have been committed by the Lizardfolk arsonists in my game.

In 5, Gale makes a badly-worded deal with a lord of the Unseen Court and is compelled to fight the party. After that we don't make any assumptions - she might be dead, or might be chilling out in Flint. There's a chance she ends up as city governor, but she's not front and center in the plot long-term.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?439817-Gale-as-a-love-interest#ixzz3WwFLRpj3

Excellent, even better if it's a tragic romance! You have dispelled the rest of my insecurity.

Remove ads