Gale Force 9 Releases Out of the Abyss DM Screen & New Archetype Decks

The DM Screen looks nice it just looks to be a little late. The release date shows Dec 12? The cards would be nice, but I don't like all of those micro transactions. They add up and discourage me from buying them. I suppose I just think they are too expensive.

The DM Screen looks nice it just looks to be a little late. The release date shows Dec 12?

The cards would be nice, but I don't like all of those micro transactions. They add up and discourage me from buying them. I suppose I just think they are too expensive.

CM

Adventurer
Is there a physical difference in the packaging of the new and old versions of the spell card decks? If I see some at my LGS I'd like to make sure I'm getting the new versions.

trystero

Explorer
CM, the boxes for the revised decks all say "Version 2" just above the UPC barcode: see https://rpggeek.com/image/2528928/spellbook-cards-arcane for an example.

The Elemental deck (out now) doesn't have this text because it was released with rounded corners and concentration markers: it's only the Arcane, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, and Ranger decks which need to distinguish between releases to my knowledge.

Valmarius

First Post
CM, the boxes for the revised decks all say "Version 2" just above the UPC barcode: see https://rpggeek.com/image/2528928/spellbook-cards-arcane for an example.

The Elemental deck (out now) doesn't have this text because it was released with rounded corners and concentration markers: it's only the Arcane, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, and Ranger decks which need to distinguish between releases to my knowledge.

Trystero nailed it, this is the easiest way to make sure you're getting the updated cards.

As for printing issues. The only thing I can say for sure is that yes, reprints get made as part of the same order that new cards are on. I think this is mainly for shipping reasons, eg. we can put all the new stock on the same boat.
I'll admit, we have been pretty blown away by the popularity of these cards and they're easily our highest selling D&D product.

So, thanks! I hope those of you who've managed to grab them are enjoying them and finding them useful.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Is there a SCAG only supplement (ie like there was for Elemental Evil?). I already have the Arcane decks, cleric deck, ranger and so on and would like to just purchase the SCAG spells.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Edit: So I effectively have to rebuy cards I already own via the Arcane Archetype decks to get the new SCAG spells?

Are the Elemental Evil spells included in the Arcane Archetypes decks?

+

Is that implying there that there are no new Divine spells ie Paladin/Cleric spells in SCAG?

Last edited by a moderator:

Valmarius

First Post
Is that implying there that there are no new Divine spells ie Paladin/Cleric spells in SCAG?

I imply nothing! :p

But a quick investigation of the spoiled contents page would reveal that there is a section called 'Cantrips for Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards' and that there are no other similarly named sections.

dynath

Villager
I really wish GF9 would just produce a single all encompassing spell card set or one geared towards each class. none of this "Arcane" catch all, but legitimately an Sorcerer, Wizard, and warlock deck. Now you're having to sell archetype update decks, because you didn't plan your original release inclusive enough. Please just make a complete set and sell ALL spells together so anyone can use the set for any class.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I want to point out that all 7 current decks are still available through you FLGS (at least in the US). We still have them in stock, as do both of my major distributors (Alliance and ACD).

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Sadly in Australia , the stocking of the Decks (which is kinda strange considerIng I thought GF9 and its parent organisation were NZ) has always been very... tricky. I guess I assumed that this was because the much bigger American distributors were buying up all the stock and it was the trickle on effect down to Australia. There are plenty of Bard and Cleric decks around however.

I think I put in a request to one of the local stores back in June and they still dont have an arcane deck in

Remove ads

Remove ads