• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game specs for thatch?

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Looking at breaking rules in the SRD, I'd give thatch:

- hardness 0 (like rope, assuming hemp ~ straw),

- 2 hp/inch (it's dense & fibrous, again ~rope, so 2ft layer takes 50ish pts to chop through),

- break DC 15 or so (fibrous though "crumbly", and quite thick. DC 18 with support structure- such as a roof. comparable to thinner wooden structures (chest and good door, respectively)

- climb DC 10 or less (assuming you mean a thatched roof: it's just a slope, lots of handholds, but climber must be careful not to fall through. Higher/lesser DC for greater/lesser pitch. Higher DC if the thatch is old and rotting)

- Not sure about how much weight it supports. You could just make "fall through" the effect of failing the climb check. In that case, maybe use the climber's size as a bonus/penalty to the climb check, so that smaller creatures have an advantage over larger creatures (for example, I'd probably use the negative of the climber's grapple check size modifier, so medium +0, small +4, large -4, etc) (or alternatively, just use the climber's attack bonus size modifier)

>> EDIT: Wow! Thatch is apparently much more resilient than I thought. Amended my numbers above to reflect my current opinion, after a little research.

Last edited:

Doug Sundseth

First Post
The wikipedia article on thatching claims that thatch is applied in 2' thick bundles. (Other sources I've seen make this plausible to me, btw.) Two feet of wheat straw is not the sort of thing you'll easily cut through or fall through, and thatched roofs often have multiple layers of thatch.

For a comparison, think of a bale of hay. You might be able to cut it with an axe (not very quickly) or an extraordinarily sharp sword, but most weapons will do minimal or no damage. Given that, I'd probably give it a hardness of three to five and one to three HP per inch. You'll be able to chop through, but it will take effort and a significant amount of time unless you are absurdly strong or magically enhanced (i.e., a PC).

Vegepygmy

First Post
For a comparison, think of a bale of hay. You might be able to cut it with an axe (not very quickly) or an extraordinarily sharp sword, but most weapons will do minimal or no damage. Given that, I'd probably give it a hardness of three to five and one to three HP per inch.
That would make it harder than leather or hide, which I find difficult to believe (though I'm no expert on hay bales). I could buy that it's harder than rope, though (due to its density, perhaps), so maybe a hardness of 1? And I'd guess it has more structural integrity than ice (3 hp/inch), but no more than leather or hide (5 hp/inch), so probably 4 hp/inch. And vulnerability to fire, of course.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads