• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Store in Singapore?

kibbitz

First Post
May I recommend Paradigm Infinitum? :)

Paradigm Infinitum - Your Source For Board Games, Miniatures, Role-Playing Games, and Collectable Games in Singapore

Nice place last I visited, makes me almost want to look for groups again. Though I would like to know if there are other gaming shops around too. There's a couple of shops with some RPG books, but mostly the WoD and 3e stuff last I remember...

Edit:
Interesting, just checked their site a bit, don't really see RPG stuff there. I do remember a section or two of the walls dedicated to RPG stuff previously, but I believe I had a conversation with one of their staff who mentioned that they were dedicating less space to it due to weaker sales compared to CCGs and other stuff. I'll try to pop by sometime and check it out. I think they'll still order stuff in though.

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
There are a few places to get gaming stuff in Singapore.

Borders is actually not too bad, and very competitive price-wise if you don't mind waiting a bit for:
1. Stuff to appear on their shelves; and
2. (If you're a preferred member) the periodic discount coupons that allow to get stuff for 20-40% off the listed price.

Some other places are:
Paradigm Infinitum (mentioned above);
Comics Mart; and
Absolut Comics (address in the link is correct, but the map looks wrong. Parco Bugis Junction is actually next to Bugis MRT Station).

And, of course, there's always Amazon.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
If you want a lot of (sometimes older) stock to choose from, Comics Mart at the Serene Centre on the corner of Farrer Road and Bukit Timah is the place to go.

It's really easy to get around in Singapore so don't be put off if a local says it's far away: that generally only means about 10 kms!

Runestar

First Post
There are a few places to get gaming stuff in Singapore.

Borders is actually not too bad, and very competitive price-wise if you don't mind waiting a bit for:
1. Stuff to appear on their shelves; and
2. (If you're a preferred member) the periodic discount coupons that allow to get stuff for 20-40% off the listed price.
Competitively priced? The dnd books there are overpriced as hell. To give a rough example, I got my PHB and DMG from World of JJ at $29.90. The same books went at Borders for $54.95. Even with the periodic 30% discount coupons they printed in the newspaper, it was still quite ex (worked out to ~$39. :(

But it was a good place to waste an entire day browsing though books...:eek:

But after world of JJ closed down (that and the store did not find it profitable to brind in so few quantities of the books due to very low demand), Borders was pretty much the only place you could access dnd books, so it was either buy them at an inflated price (takes about 3 months on average for new books to arrive, plus waiting for the coupons to appear), buy from from an online store such as Amazon, or do without.

I do wished that comics connection had continued to import dungeon/dragon magazines though. Even if they were exorbitantly priced (dungeon went for $13...)

FireLance

Legend
Competitively priced? The dnd books there are overpriced as hell. To give a rough example, I got my PHB and DMG from World of JJ at $29.90. The same books went at Borders for $54.95. Even with the periodic 30% discount coupons they printed in the newspaper, it was still quite ex (worked out to ~$39. :(
I think that must have been a special deal at World of JJ (I haven't actually shopped there myself). Just doing a quick price check for the 4e PH on Amazon, the list price is US$34.95, or US$23.07 after discount. Using an exchange rate of about S$1.50 to US$1, that works out to about S$52.40, or S$34.60 after discount, excluding shipping and handling. My general impression is that most places sell hardcover game books for about S$50, so getting one for less than S$40 is quite a bargain for me. The rare 40% coupons make it an even better deal, and preferred customers get another 10% of the remainder, for a total discount of 46% (this brings the price of a PH down to about S$29.70, by the way). Even the relatively more common 30% off coupon, plus another 10% off for preferred members, brings the cost of a PH down to about S$34.60, which is about equal to the Amazon discounted price excluding shipping and handling.

Thanks guys. I'm just visiting but I thought it would be fun to check out.

One of my pals asked me to pick up D&D rules in Chinese if they exist in Singapore. I'm guessing they don't.

Runestar

First Post
I think that must have been a special deal at World of JJ (I haven't actually shopped there myself). Just doing a quick price check for the 4e PH on Amazon, the list price is US$34.95, or US$23.07 after discount. Using an exchange rate of about S$1.50 to US$1, that works out to about S$52.40, or S$34.60 after discount, excluding shipping and handling.

My bad, I was referring to 3.0 PHB and DMG from way back in 2001 (at that time, I think it retailed at $19.90 US?), but Borders was indeed selling it at $55 even from way back.

And I thought the discount coupons could not be combined with the preferred customer discount? :erm:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads