• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Store in Singapore?

kibbitz

First Post
Thanks guys. I'm just visiting but I thought it would be fun to check out.

One of my pals asked me to pick up D&D rules in Chinese if they exist in Singapore. I'm guessing they don't.

Think you have better odds getting someone versed in Chinese to look at Amazon China's website å“越亚马逊:网上è´:)物:图书,手机,数ç:),家电,化妆å“,钟表,首饰ç:)‰åœ¨çº¿é”€å”®. However, since I don't know Chinese, I'm afraid I can't help you :(

Think you have better odds getting someone versed in Chinese to look at Amazon China's website å“越亚马逊:网上è´:)物:图书,手机,数ç:),家电,化妆å“,钟表,首饰ç:)‰åœ¨çº¿é”€å”®. However, since I don't know Chinese, I'm afraid I can't help you :(

Thanks, Kibbitz. I don't know Chinese either, but my wife can read it (she's Singaporean, I'm American) and checked it out. She was able to find a lot of Atari games in Japanese (not sure if Dragonshard even exists in English), Dragonlance books in English, and Gary Gygax's Anubis Murders in English, but nothing in Chinese. Interesting.

They did have the D&D movie (not sure if it's just in English, dubbed, or with subtitles), so that might explain why there's nothing else, if that was the Chinese world's first taste of D&D. ;)

kibbitz

First Post
No prob :) Too bad about that, though I doubt that's China's first taste of D&D :p Wonder if Amazon China does sell Chinese Magic the Gathering cards...

Happy New Year, folks. I went to three of the recommended shops, and here's what I observed as an Ang Mo visitor, coming from Seattle (the US metro area where both WOTC and Paizo are based).

Paradigm Infinitum -- This place is near Somerset MRT stop, in an older shopping center that's a bit scary/sketchy looking compared to most of the business areas in Singapore (e.g., it's pretty empty, dark, dingy, and has a lot of condom stores!). The store itself, however, is nice. When I came in, folks were actually playing a game (yeah!) and said hello. The D&D collection, so far as I could tell, was all 4e, and I think completist for 4e. The rest of the collection was very similar to what you'd see in a typical Seattle game store -- lots of minis and lots of gamer-focused board games, such as variants of Axis and Allies, Britannia, Diplomacy, etc. All the customers I saw appeared to be Singaporean men.

Absolut Comics -- I don't remember precisely where this is. In one of Singapore's many, many malls of the Central Business District, to my impression. This place was PACKED with customers and full to the brim with comics. The RPG collection, at least what I found of it, was on the floor, being closed out with 50% off stickers. It was mostly older 3e materials. I don't recall any 4e materials. Some of it was for other RPG's, too. Most of it is stuff I'm already familiar with (either own it or decided not to long ago), but I bought one item I hadn't seen before, a module from Fast Forward (not the best, but meh.) I think I was the only non-Singaporean there, but in gaming circles it's probably interesting that a noticeable percentage (20%?) of the customers are females.

Comics Mart -- This in the mall that connects to the City Hall MRT, I think. Anyhow, it's a very upscale mall that connects to Swissotel - The Stamford, and one of my buddies who gets to Singapore regularly on business trips stays near there. Comics Mart was fairly quiet when I went in -- two workers and a few customers, who were a mix of locals and ang mos like the mall itself. This store had what I'd term an impressive selection of both 3e and 4e. Probably all of the 4e books (e.g., about the same as Paradigm, perhaps a few things less) and a really solid 3e collection, including several book that I think are no longer available in Seattle (complete this and that). They didn't have Complete Arcane, though, which I was looking for. I think they even had some Pathfinder books, but not the Pathfinder Beta.

They also had a lot of D&D novels, including some older ones -- I picked up "The Savage Caves" (the first novel with the 3e iconic characters), which I've been looking for for a while now. I also picked up for $2 a Living Greyhawk adventure. I don't think those are meant to be sold, but it was after it was valid anyhow, and I took this as a good side that Comics Mart might be involved in organized gaming. Anyhow, I thought this store was pretty cool.

As for pricing policies, like I said, everything in Absolute Comics dwindling collection was 50% off -- I think they've given up on RPGs. At Comics Mart, the one item was $2 (can't beat that!) and the other they calculated (fairly) from the USD to the SGD price -- no price was marked on it in SGD. That's the same thing I've seen done in London gaming stores, and charging face value for old stuff is pretty standard in Seattle gaming shops, so I think it's perfectly normal. I didn't buy anything at Paradigm (not into 4e), so I don't know their prices.

Happy gaming, Singapore!

charonsg

First Post
Paradigm infinitum has caucasian customers
they range from those playing warhammer, flames of war to roleplayers
you just havent had a chance to meet them. PI carries newer stock relative to comics mart, the range at PI is also wider, you can get FFG,Mongoose and pinnacle games etc; at PI. pi has female customers too, they tend to purchase the eurogames. the location is not upmarket as it helps save on the rent, pi doesnt need a good location as they are well known through word of mouth in singapore

absolute comics is just carrying some old stock from god knows where they bought from that they want to clear, they have never been a place for rpgs. it is primarily a comics and toys store.

comics mart is know for slow moving stock , you can even find changeling the dreaming books now in the serene centre branch, the serene branch is bigger than the raffles city (city hall mrt) branch but more dinghy. their selection of rpgs is more limited in terms of publishers. mostly wotc
they run the local FNM magic at the serene store if i remember correctly but when it comes to organised gaming like living greyhawk and living realms, the community is based out of paradigm infinitum

PI (paradigm infinitum as we locals call it) is where the local gaming community is based out of mostly. the local gaming con is run by pi btw

for the record i normally buy my rpgs from amazon.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
While we are at it, I am thinking of moving to Singapore if I can get picked up for a management or analysist job there. How is it? Glad to here there is a RPG culture there.

charonsg

First Post
@Deucetraveler

there is a recession in singapore now
i am not sure this is a good time for you to come :)
but if you do arrive in singapore
do drop by the pi forums or the singapore dnd meetup board to find a gaming group.
our friend firelance here is the organizer for the singapore dnd meetup board :p
so if you are looking for a dnd game, you can head there
for alternative systems/settings like call of the cthulhu, warhammer fantasy roleplay, nWoD, savage worlds, the pi forums will be better

Last edited:

Neil Bishop

First Post
While we are at it, I am thinking of moving to Singapore if I can get picked up for a management or analysist job there. How is it? Glad to here there is a RPG culture there.

Singapore is a great place to work. Taxes are really low so it makes saving very easy. It is very easy to jump on a plane to anywhere from here. The airport is well-designed, very safe and secure but the security measures are not in your face nor do they make the airport less efficient.

Singapore is also safe. I regularly walk around with thousands of dollars in cash without worrying that I will be mugged. It just isn't going to happen (except in a couple of places... and if you know those places then you know Singapore well enough not to have a couple of thousand dollars in cash in your pocket when you go there).

As the previous poster noted, Singapore is in recession. It has been for about 18 months, possibly longer, but it has only been official for a few months. That said, there are always jobs for foreigners here particularly for fairly senior/leadership-type roles. Recession just means things are getting cheaper again.

I've been here for a few months shy of a decade and have no intention of ever living full-time again in Australia even though I love the place. I am just not prepared to be taxed within an inch of my life to pay for the lifestyle choices of the lazy and drug-addicted so I plan to stay here for another decade or two at least.

Oh, and the food is great. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads