D&D 5E Game theory, D&D, and infinite games

GreyLord

Legend
Well, yeah, but that's true in any game. You don't get spotted an extra knight in Chess for bringing a snack for the referee.

But experience points are given to the player, not the character. They don't exist within the character's world - no PC or NPC knows what an XP is, or what to do with it.

You are correct...

I expect to get spotted an extra queen for bringing the referee that snack, or, at a minimum, an extra 5 minutes on the clock!

:p

Argyle King

Legend
Years ago, I had a communications class (college) about games (as a form of media).

I remember having a class discussion about what makes something a "sport" rather than a "game."

While the discussion itself was interesting and there were a few broad distinctions upon which most members of the class could agree, the borders/edges of game and sport territory were fuzzy.

I've no idea who he is, and the page that was linked to looked mighty like a blog to me; so - a blogger. :)
Still no idea? Even now? Invested enough to respond about not knowing who he is but not interested enough for a 10-second Google search to see why someone would bother citing him? Never heard of Ultraviolet Grasslands or Witchburner, I guess?

I've heard there's this whole RPG industry out there, somewhere beyond the Shire...

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Still no idea? Even now? Invested enough to respond about not knowing who he is but not interested enough for a 10-second Google search to see why someone would bother citing him? Never heard of Ultraviolet Grasslands or Witchburner, I guess?

I've heard there's this whole RPG industry out there, somewhere beyond the Shire...
It would take you less time to simply explain who this person is instead of being snide about it. Has the RPG space really reached that level of hipster? But then, this is the internet. No point being on it unless you can be pointlessly rude. I've never heard of the person either. None of what you're vaguely throwing out means anything to me, so...not worth a Google search then.

Before now, I didn't have any idea about who that person was either.
He wrote and did all the (really great) illustrations for an OSR point-crawl supplement/setting called Ultraviolet Grasslands

You can get an introduction to the setting for free here

Argyle King

Legend
He wrote and did all the (really great) illustrations for an OSR point-crawl supplement/setting called Ultraviolet Grasslands

You can get an introduction to the setting for free here

I learned that after a Google search.

Before being introduced to the name via this thread, I had no idea.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I assume there are a lot of people out there who have published a TTRPG or two or three that aren't particularly widely played?

Remove ads