• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamebooks

Eternalknight

First Post
Capellan said:
If you ever decide to sell #22, let me know :)

Fabled Lands was a very interesting idea, but I think the fact that you had to buy them all to get the maximum use may have put some people off ... which probably contributed to the series never being finished.

Personally, I think a series of D20 gamebooks, aimed at the same level as the early FF books, would be Good Thing (TM). Gamebooks got a lot of kids into gaming while I was in school, and they are a great learning tool for new players - they get used to dice mechanics at their own speed, without the intimidation of all the other players around them.

A mass market paperback is also a lot less money than PH + DMG + MM. Makes a good 'sampler' for people to try out. If they did the same as the Sorcery books and print die rolls at the bottom of the pages, they wouldn't even need the players to get their own dice ...

If I ever decide to sell Book 22, hell will have frozen over :p

As for the d20 gamebooks, I was actually planning doing something like this, and had even set up a poll on website to see what the reaction would be to it (67% yes, 18% no, 15% maybe). Unfortuneatly, I am working on something else right now so the project never got off the ground.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Fighting Fantasy books rock. They were pretty essential in my introduction to the wonderful world of RPGs.

The first five of them were translated into Finnish when I was young and impressionable; I think they even predate my getting D&D!

I loved them and still have them all. (Well, except for the fourth, sci-fi one. It wasn't nearly as good as the others, so I don't mourn for it.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads