• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamers, I need input!

Raven Crowking

First Post
Here's another thing: Develop a thick skin, and try to be positive towards customers regardless of who they are. HOWEVER, if a customer hurts your business (stealing, scaring other customers, whatever) don't be afraid to politely eject them. You might want to consider etiquette for your restrooms as well, including what condition customers can leave them in.

Also, make sure you have clear, and clearly posted, rules on outside food and drink.

Suspensions and outright bans should work the same as on EN World. Within reason, you want to have a Grandmother-friendly storefront.

RC

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Here are some ideas:
  1. Don't carry too much stuff that the place gets cluttered.
  2. Avoid turning your place into a convenience store.
  3. See what everybody else is doing in your area, then make yourself unique. If there is another gaming store in town that already carries a huge variety of stuff, it is going to be harder to compete with them.
  4. Market the Experience. Your store's ambiance is very important to keep people coming back. Warm and friendly is a vibe no matter the theme.
  5. Have tables and chairs outside if you can. Some people actually like sunlight.
  6. Stay zoned and organized. My suggestion is to have the cafe seating up front, larger gaming tables in the back, and the RPG products along one wall.
  7. Having a good design does not necessarily mean spending a fortune. Think about how they handle Hollywood movie magic - most of the set is built from things you can find at the hardware store. An Industrial look is probably the cheapest, but it can sacrifice comfort for trendiness. Industrial is way underused, though. A lot of people may think to copy Starbucks or Panara is the way to go, but here's the thing: they already do it and chances are they already do it better. The important thing is to figure out what you want your design to say about your business.
What's the square footage and general shape of the location?

Raven Crowking

First Post
Well, when you're ready, let us know where. I have rels in Kentucky now, so there is some small chance that I might be able to stop by some day and give you my money.

RC

IConsider allowing people to bring in outside food/have take-out delivered to the store. People like convenience, but dislike being made captive audiences (this falls under 'be welcoming').

IMHO, bringing outside food to a restaurant -- with the exception of a birthday cake -- is super disrespectful. Courtesy and respect are a two way street.

In the ideal world of this Platonic gamer pub, I'd separate the pub part on the floor level, then have the entire second floor reserved for game space. During breaks, we could saunter downstairs to freshen our drinks and shoot the breeze with other patrons. I'd like the idea of separate spaces reserved for gaming and for socializing to keep at-table chatter and distractions minimized.

Nod. I can see this place in my mind (well, I'm used to architecting in Inception space, I'm a DM). The ground floor is two stories high, open plan, with the upstairs area being just along the walls of the second story, like an old West saloon's upper level. The "balcony level" has brass railing on it, and is lined with bookshelves which books for sale and on display behind glass are copies of the original AD&D books, sets of minis gamers have painted, (stage prop) swords, etc. Heraldic shields are on the end of each bookshelf, facing out towards the open air center. The balcony level has several nooks -- at least four -- with a pool table in one, and gamer tables (custom made, you can find it online) in the others. The nooks with gamer tables also have wooden lockers built into the bookshelves, for gamers to store their gear.

I would definitely go to such a place, but more for ambiance, food, and beer than to game, since I've always gamed at home. Still, we might want to rent a table for our group for a special occassion. :)

Katana_Geldar

First Post
IMHO, bringing outside food to a restaurant -- with the exception of a birthday cake -- is super disrespectful. Courtesy and respect are a two way street.

But not to a gaming store that happens to sell snacks! When I go to Sydney the shop I got to is in a street with a lot of fast food outlets, we usually put our stuff down before the session and then get something to eat.

You will need to have a policy on outside food if you will be selling it, or else be in a place where people can get it easy. if you're not going to sell food aside from snacks, maybe get to know a few take-away businesses that are in your area.

Remove ads