Games-Workshop

Hmm, I play warhammer 40K, Blood Angels (ducks as the wedges of cheese fly) and I'm currently paintng my brothers Black Legion chaos marines.

I got into the hobby from my love of strategy games. Since I couldn't find anyone to play me in Axis and Allies any more I figured I'd have better luck with this. Not sure if it really worked as I don't have any good hobby stores in there area with clubs. But hey, the painting keeps me out of my wifes hair! :D

As for DND, I've been playing that since the early 80's. I still have fond memories of rolling my twenty sider across the black top on the play ground.

Ruined

Explorer
I played a lot of the miniature games, 40K especially (Go Chaos Marines!!). But the big one for us, that I haven't seen here, is the Warhammer Fantasy RPG. Right around 1990, many of us 'graduated' from the broken systems of 2nd ed. AD&D to WFRP. Had a GM who ran excellent campaigns (although he also ran great AD&D games beforehand). It was great, it was dark, and yeah, we got a bit snobbish.

Proud to report though, that I've recently brought most of those long-term players back into the d20 fold, and they enjoy it.

Ruined

Explorer
I played a lot of the miniature games, 40K especially (Go Chaos Marines!!). But the big one for us, that I haven't seen here, is the Warhammer Fantasy RPG. Right around 1990, many of us 'graduated' from the broken systems of 2nd ed. AD&D to WFRP. Had a GM who ran excellent campaigns (although he also ran great AD&D games beforehand). It was great, it was dark, and yeah, we got a bit snobbish.

Proud to report though, that I've recently brought most of those long-term players back into the d20 fold, and they enjoy it.

Wicht

Hero
I have Warhammer Fantasy, mostly undead, Bloodbowl, and I got Gorkamorka when it was being given away basically by GW. But I was in DnD first, last, and inbetween.

Oh Yeah - and I enjoy paining minis too :)

Lothaire

First Post
Got into GW because of friends who played WH +40K. Said friends were existing gamer friends.

I fell out of love with GW because of overpriced minis, annoying rules supplements, and anal retentive whiney win at all cost players.

However I am considering picking up their LORT stuff just for the fun of painting it.

Thorntangle

First Post
I was into Fantasy Battles and 40k. I found I liked the miniatures better than actually playing. As a matter of fact, I found the actual games to be kind of tedious.

Imperialus

Explorer
got into them both at the same time. Back in 1990, I would sit in my cousins garadge and watch him and his friends playing the very early incarnations of Second Ed 40K, 3rd ed WHFB, and First Ed D&D. I have since collected almost 5000 pts of painted Imperial Guard (thats well in excess of 200 pewter minis and over 30 tanks if you were wondering). I have a batallion history streaching over 10 pages, and an entire regiment of a hundred thousand assembled (if only on paper) around them. I haven't been playing much recently though. The good old fasioned guard army has been neglected to the point of dispair by the folks at GW and I have lost intrest in playing against 12 year old kids who's tactics are limited to putting as many HTH troops on the table as possible then crying and throwing minis when I cut them down with 50 or 60 lazer blasts to a squad.

Just to give you an idea of how long I have been playing, I have over 20 Mk4 Space Marine suits painted as the crimson fists sitting on my shelf, right beside my copy of Rouge Trader. Not bad for a 20 year old eh?

AussieDM

First Post
I don't think anybody has mentioned Bloodbowl?

I've been a long term D&D player/DM but there's something about Bloodbowl that I really enjoy...

I'm Australian, but a big NFL fan and combining that with D&D/fantasy gets you Bloodbowl!

Remove ads