• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamescience Dice?

Filcher

First Post
Sorry if this was noted previously:

Do the GS inked dice also come "pre-sanded" ? More than inking, the sanding has proven to be a pain in the arse. Might be my ogre-sized hands but I can't seem to make headway on the molding without trimming down the edges.

Need to find some 9-year old gamers to do my work for me. :)

Filcher

First Post
My players swear up and down that my Gamescience dice roll waaay too many 20's. :)

I critted the party's Fighter 3 times last session in a single combat...

-O

Yeah. I'm not touching that 20-sider. It has stood me in excellent stead against my players. If nothing else, it is *the* die to bust out when I'm rolling the "the stink of death is upon you!" rolls out in the open.

gamestationnet

First Post
Sorry if this was noted previously:

Do the GS inked dice also come "pre-sanded" ? More than inking, the sanding has proven to be a pain in the arse. Might be my ogre-sized hands but I can't seem to make headway on the molding without trimming down the edges.

Need to find some 9-year old gamers to do my work for me. :)

Now there's an idea! ;)

Short answer is no, they aren't pre-sanded - the cost of labor would necessarily raise the price of the dice.

However, we are making an effort to increase quality control, and will sell the dice that don't make the cut at a lesser price (no, not available online yet). If we aren't sure if the dice can be saved or not, we do go ahead and sand it and then decide if its second-rate. At least that is the current process - once we have all inventory on hand, I'm sure will change it up again.

Filcher

First Post
Now there's an idea! ;)

Short answer is no, they aren't pre-sanded - the cost of labor would necessarily raise the price of the dice.

However, we are making an effort to increase quality control, and will sell the dice that don't make the cut at a lesser price (no, not available online yet). If we aren't sure if the dice can be saved or not, we do go ahead and sand it and then decide if its second-rate. At least that is the current process - once we have all inventory on hand, I'm sure will change it up again.

Understood. The same thought came to me when you mentioned your staff inking the dice --- I hope you have those desk magnifiers or something. Even then I think I'd go mad after the 100th d20.

I've decided to go with the suggestion above to trim dice with a hobby knife. (I see many butterfly stitches in my future.)

Obryn

Hero
Understood. The same thought came to me when you mentioned your staff inking the dice --- I hope you have those desk magnifiers or something. Even then I think I'd go mad after the 100th d20.
Honestly, I find inking my own dice to be almost ... I dunno, meditative seems about right. There's also the whole caveman-making-his-own-tools vibe. What's more, it's easy to do while the TV is on. :)

I've decided to go with the suggestion above to trim dice with a hobby knife. (I see many butterfly stitches in my future.)
I only had one die which had a significant enough nub I worried about it. The nail file on my pocketknife did the job pretty well... I tried out a knife, but I was too worried about physical injury and the amount of force required. :)

-O

acsoares

First Post
Do any of you gaming veterans remember the original gamescience d20 dice with the 0-9 digits? In the old AD&D days you would have to crayon one side of 0-9. The colored digits represented 11-20. The uncolored side was simply 1-10. The uncolored zero (0) represented the number 10.

Where can I find these dice in the market? Any ideas? And, does anyone know why gamescience doesn't manufacture them anymore?

Thanks.

Obryn

Hero
Do any of you gaming veterans remember the original gamescience d20 dice with the 0-9 digits? In the old AD&D days you would have to crayon one side of 0-9. The colored digits represented 11-20. The uncolored side was simply 1-10. The uncolored zero (0) represented the number 10.

Where can I find these dice in the market? Any ideas? And, does anyone know why gamescience doesn't manufacture them anymore?

Thanks.
I have a bunch from a different company in a box somewhere, but they're not Gamescience caliber. And I think they're, um... brown translucent.

-O

And, does anyone know why gamescience doesn't manufacture them anymore?
Same reasons why nobody really would anymore. First, a d20 is easier to read and players cannot cheat by "mis-inking" their dice if the numbers count from 1 to 20 and not 0-9 twice. Second, by numbering them from 1-20 you discourage the use of them as percentiles or d10's - and thus encourage the purchase of actual d10 dice and percentiles (00-90). Standard dice set is thus d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d% (7 dice) instead of d4, d6, d8, d12 d20, d20 (only 6 dice). So it's of practical benefit and better for selling more dice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads