Gaming Dollars Spent in 2023

ichabod

Legned
Nice post. I came into some extra money, part of which is going to expanding my game collection. I plan to do it very deliberately and keep records, but I hadn't thought about detailed financial tracking. I think I will add that. Currently I just track a "Fun" budget, but that includes movies, books, and things like parking when I go to board game night downtown.

The Soloist

Adventurer
In 2023, I spent about $90 x 12 = $1080. Excluding gifts by my wife. That is very much in line with what I've been doing for the last 10 years.

2024 could be different. I decided to no longer play miniature wargames in stores. My friends buy the board games now. As for RPGs, we alternate GMs, it splits the cost. Also, buyer fatigue has crept up on me. New RPGs don't interest me. I've culled my collection down to eight titles. I'll buy expansion books for those IF I find them interesting.

No One D&D for me. I said that for 4e and 5e but bought them. I could be correct this time. I'm just not into D&D anymore. Fantasy AGE, The One Ring and Dragonbane are my fantasy RPGs of choice. I have OSE/BX if I get nostalgic.

pogre

Legend
I don't keep track. I value my marriage :)

Nah, just kidding, my wife is exceedingly laid back about my hobby purchases.

I was thinking I didn't spend much this year and then I remembered the Dwarven Forge Kickstarter.

February next year will be a big month for me I'm buying everything and anything that comes out for The Old World.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I will occasionally paint a custom character for a specific game, but it's like getting a tattoo of your girlfriend's name. You're just begging for something to go wrong. I've had a few players spend upwards of $40+ at Heroforge for a custom miniature and I'm like, "You've participated in my campaigns before. You know characters tend to die, right?" Usually when I paint a custom character for a specific game it's because I've already got an unpainted miniature lying around the house. Usually I'll just pick a painted miniature that's close to the character I'm playing. I'm not too picky.

Yeah, I live on a very meagre income, so buying (and assembling, painting, etc) a figure for every character I play isn't in the cards. Especially if they're not going to survive more then four sessions (to be fair this death was just down to dice rolls). I think I'm just going to buy a counter collection from Paizo. That will give me my choice of counters to represent my character and also serve me well as a GM.

ichabod

Legned
Yeah, I live on a very meagre income, so buying (and assembling, painting, etc) a figure for every character I play isn't in the cards. Especially if they're not going to survive more then four sessions (to be fair this death was just down to dice rolls). I think I'm just going to buy a counter collection from Paizo. That will give me my choice of counters to represent my character and also serve me well as a GM.
Pinnacle also just put out a Fantasy Pawn Set that you might look into.

Muad'dib Pendragon

The Spice must flow... From the Holy Grail
@MGibster Thanks for posting this! Your effort and the responses highlight why I should track my RPG-related expenditures. I know I spent way to much in 2023; just have to look back and calculate the damage.

That said, this is a great 2024 challenge! Now to set up that spreadsheet...

Remove ads