• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming slang in everyday life

Do you ever find yourself inadvertently using gaming slang in everyday life?

My wife just asked me where one of the dogs was, and I replied "she's camping the grill waiting to see what drops." (I was grilling dinner at the time and she likes the drippings.)

Heck, I don't even play MMOs.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Yes, I use it around the house all the time. But then, I met my wife when she came to make a character for a D&D game I was running. So, use of gamer slang with another gamer doesn't count for much :)

In other areas of life, when there aren't known gamers around? Nope.

Ravenwind

First Post

My wife just asked me where one of the dogs was, and I replied "she's camping the grill waiting to see what drops." (I was grilling dinner at the time and she likes the drippings.)

It's a fairly common joke between my husband and myself that I have a 3 Dex. And that we're really hoping our son inherits his father's Dex score, and not mine. Also, that when I rolled my character sheet, the DM obviously had me roll 3d6, whereas his DM just as obviously was of the 4d6, throw out the lowest variety; it's the only rational explanation for why my Dex, Con, and Str are so abysmal, but my husband's stats are all well-balanced.

Then again, I did plonk points into Int. and Wis. as I leveled up, so, in a sense, it's my own fault for not working to backfill my weak stats.

. . . so, er, yes? :)

cmad1977

Hero
All the time
Nerf, buff, 'roll a 20', crit fail, make/fail saves are all commonly heard from me pretty much at any time they would be appropriate

Remove ads