• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming Tables

Cymex666

First Post
I don't know if this topic has come up before, but I was wondering if anyone here knew where I could find some resources regarding gaming tables.

In the near future I plan on having a decent table dedicated to gaming and nothing else.

I've looked at some sites that have gaming tables geared for poker and billiards, but that's not what I want or need.

I envision a large round or oval-shaped table that could comfortably seat 8 players, is constructed from wood and has a raised lip that would prevent dice from sliding off the edge. Anyone here ever seen such a thing?

Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

Amal Shukup

First Post
Our group built a table. Or rather, a table top designed to rest on my dining room table.

7 feet by 4 feet Rectangular. Made of 1/4" plywood with 1" x 1" 'runners' screwed underneath (so it fits snug to the base table). This is then glued/laminated to a 1/16th" 'white' board (I'm not sure what it's for, but it's white, quite thin, and smooth).

This surface is then marked out into 1" by 1" squares using indelible fine tip. We use dry erase markers and cut out 'transparency material' 'trees', 'roads' 'rocks' etc. to create our combat areas.

We also have a sheet of a soft rubbery fabric (also bought at the hardware store) to protect the Base Table Top.

In HINDSIGHT...
- 7'x4' is too big. I'd like to cut off at least a foot.
- Indelible marker still wears away (over multiple months). Fine line routing for the lines would be much more laborious, but better. Perhaps leave a foot around the outside not marked so people's elbows don't wear away the lines so much.
- Oval would be cool...
- Perhaps different materials: Plywood is heavy.
- Large bright white surface is a bit 'tiring' for eyes and doesn't really set the mood. Not certain what to do. A darker surface with lighter (routed) lines would be cool, but obviously LESS good for transparencies and dry erase... Perhaps just a light tan, or neutral color...

A'Mal

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Cymex666 said:
I envision a large round or oval-shaped table that could comfortably seat 8 players, is constructed from wood and has a raised lip that would prevent dice from sliding off the edge. Anyone here ever seen such a thing?

Nothing prevents dice from going off the edge of a gaming table. It's a quantum mechanical thing, from what I understand.

Jeff

P.S. At GenCon, I was DMing a table of Living Greyhawk when one of the players dropped -- not threw, dropped -- a d12 on the floor. It bounced from near one end of the RPGA HQ hall to the other end, fetching up underneath the concession stand. For those who don't know, that's a distance of at least 200 feet. No exaggeration. One of the most amazing Stupid Dice Tricks I've ever seen.

Aulayan

First Post
Check out AEG's website. They had a few photos of the "Ultimate Gaming Table" built for them by Peter Adkinson. It's just sweet. It might give you some ideas.

Cymex666

First Post
wilder_jw said:
Nothing prevents dice from going off the edge of a gaming table. It's a quantum mechanical thing, from what I understand.

Yeah, I know that nothing's going prevent dice from skidding off the table if they're thrown hard enough, but I would still like the table to have a lip bordering the table so that there's less chance of dice (and papers) going walk-about.

Cymex666

First Post
I saw the gaming table used for the World's Largest Dungeon and it looks pretty cool. It definitely gives me a couple of ideas of what I could do if I decide to construct a table myself.

Thanks for the tip.

KnowTheToe

First Post
First of all, if you are going to be sitting down and playing any games at your table, a lip is very very uncomfortable on peoples forearms. If you are standing and using it like a war table, then lip will work fine. You could build portable dice trays and line them with felt. Give one to each player and that should make them happy.

Second, that worlds greates game table has a few short comings. Primarily the raised area may be too small for some battles and now you have no area to expand to. It does look pretty kick arse though.

In all honesty a large flat playing surface is probably the most flexible and best area to play on. If anything you could create a custom DM area with cubbies and other goodness. The other players just need a space to reroll characters after you guiltlessly slaughter their current ones.

Cymex666

First Post
billd91 said:
You want to see an interesting gaming table? Check this out:

http://www.agyris.net/v3/ugt/default.asp

I think it's a bit elaborate, but definitely the Cadillac of gaming tables.

Wow! that's an awesome table, but I think it is a little more than I need and way out of my price range if I decided to build it.

I wouldn't call it the Cadillac of gaming tables, I would call it the Borg Cube of gaming tables :D

Remove ads