• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant Apocalypse (Recruitment always open)

Voda Vosa

First Post
For the others in the van, try spotting Felix and Laura, I forgot to mention that in the IC, I eddited the post, but in case you don't catch it ;)

Walking Dad

First Post
Felix has speed 3 and quickness 4 while in his hybrid form: the time line I see is he snickered, free action; shape shifted while attempting to not draw attention to himself, move and fluff action, attempted to sneak while moving behind the woman, standard/move action, and spoke again, at length: given his quickness is rank 4 I could easily argue, this means it could have happened within 1 second, so another free action.
I'm not th GM, but quickness doesn't give you more actions per turn. And only routine tasks can be performed accelerated, so nothing where you have to roll dice for, for example.

BTW, most of us are currently sitting in a car, unable to do anything beyond waiting. No need to get impatient on your part.

Zerith

First Post
Yes, it only speeds up routine actions and the only things that would have taken too much time to normally fit in a combat round were routine tasks that needed no rolls. everything he did that was not routine would have fit nicely into a combat round's worth of actions; this is to say a set amount of time that any of our characters can take without reprisal beyond powers tailor made to work during another character's turn in reaction.
in short, if his actions can fit into a combat round they should have no problem fitting into an out of combat round.

On a side note, if a player's actions take too long for one post when you trim it down, do a summery of what did happen, don't bother with what did not happen, should avoid confusion :3

Jemal

Adventurer
The problem comes when one player posts multiple things happening, then another player responds assuming that's what happened, and by the time the DM gets to post, he has to say "actually because player A did this, the npcs would have done this, and if they did and players B and C did what they posted, then Player B is currently dead."

I've had games where I went away for a day, and come back to literally a page full of posts that were all completely invalid because one character made an assumption at the beginning and everybody else continued off it.

Also, I don't use rounds outside of combat, I prefer for things to go more fluidly than "Player a takes his 6 seconds worth of action, then player b gets 6 seconds worth of action, then NPC A gets to respond for 6 seconds." because thats not how life works. You dont get to walk around talking and doing things for 6 seconds while everybody else waits patiently for their turn.

People tend to react, respond, cut you off, etc.

Now, as to the speech, it's not that big of a deal, given that people tend to talk more in PBP than normal anyways (Much like comic books), but as I said before, I'd prefer keeping paragraphs of speech to times when people are actively listening and your character wont be interupted.
And just for humours sake, on that comment that he could've said all that in one second... if he spoke anywhere NEAR that fast, nobody would be able to understand him. The average human looses comprehension of words spoken faster than ~ 300 wpm. translated into seconds, that's 5 words per second.

To give you an example, Felix's speech was 70 words (Not counting those with 1 or 2 letters). If he spoke that in SEVEN seconds, it would sound like this :
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4-CRv0ih28]steve[/ame]
Worlds fastest talker speaking 10.25 words per second.

Not saying you CANT speak that fast - just that it'd be very difficult for people to understand.

I'm not going to enforce any 'word limits' because as I said before, both comics and PBP tend to be more wordy, I just don't want too much being said without giving others a chance to respond. It's about balance and fairness. Everybody gets their time to shine, just don't try for too much.

BBs

First Post
Forgiveness please if I posted too early, among other things if that is what you meant.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads