• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamma World - Wheres the love?

Dark Psion

First Post
Brutorz Bill said:
I hear ya Dark Psion,
S&S Gamma really missed the mark.
Regards,
Brutorz Bill

"I will crush your head like a clam on my tummy!"
"Why do these humans chop down trees to build tables to eat on when they have perfectly good tummies to use?"

The biggest problem with WW:GW was that they took it too seriously. I mean Bunny men that turn metal to rubber with a touch riding giant dragonflys into the ruins of Old New York in search of the last Nintendo WII. :p

Some of the books have some very good stuff that I have no problem adding to my game, but some of the other stuff?

Psionic rules that include a chance of you blowing your own head off everytime you use them.

Nanotech in everything, naontech is to blame for everything and if you get nanotech into yourself, it turns you into a cleric?

And of course, no mutant plants as player characters! Well it was not the lack of plant PCs, but the way the writers dismissed the question that made them seem to be dismissing all previous Gamma World versions.

I think that pissed a lot of players off.

DMH

First Post
Dark Psion said:
And of course, no mutant plants as player characters! Well it was not the lack of plant PCs, but the way the writers dismissed the question that made them seem to be dismissing all previous Gamma World versions.

WoTC told them they could not add rules for plant PCs- too silly. So point your finger in the correct direction for that.

As for the rest, I think it is a good source to mine, but I would never play any d20 version (inc DW). They all has the same problem that the 4th ed had- superhuman PCs (levels and hit points).

DMH

First Post
Go back to the flame wars on rpg.net when the PH came out and dig around.

Or just post in tabletop open and ask for the authors.

Kesh

First Post
Dark Psion said:
"I will crush your head like a clam on my tummy!"
"Why do these humans chop down trees to build tables to eat on when they have perfectly good tummies to use?"

The biggest problem with WW:GW was that they took it too seriously. I mean Bunny men that turn metal to rubber with a touch riding giant dragonflys into the ruins of Old New York in search of the last Nintendo WII. :p

Some of the books have some very good stuff that I have no problem adding to my game, but some of the other stuff?

Psionic rules that include a chance of you blowing your own head off everytime you use them.

Nanotech in everything, naontech is to blame for everything and if you get nanotech into yourself, it turns you into a cleric?

I think that pissed a lot of players off.
*opens up a can of worms*

But, wasn't that the point? I mean, you can still play GWd20 silly if you want. It's just that with the rules as written, you can play it as straight-up post-apoc now too.

buzz

Adventurer
Kesh said:
But, wasn't that the point? I mean, you can still play GWd20 silly if you want. It's just that with the rules as written, you can play it as straight-up post-apoc now too.
FWIW, I thought the more serious backstory Baugh cooked up for it was pretty cool. It was primarily the implementation (lack of d20-fu and atrocious editing) and splat-ification that turned me off. Dividing the setting and "rules" between six books at $21.95 to $34.95 a pop was just asinine.

Twowolves

Explorer
What killed it for me wasn't the lack of plant PCs. It was everything else. The mutant animal PC rules were just "use Moreaus from the d20 modern core rules". A game with hundreds of mutations and defects in earlier editions was reduced to less than 40, and those were vasty underpowered and mundane. Psionic powers that didn't improve with levels, PrCs, or even feats or skills, but just practicing, so that once you were psi-active, you could sit in a corner and achieve godhood, provided you didn't blow your own head off first. Nanotech that you again didn't gain by classes, feats or skills, but just by GM whim, and once you had them, as I recall, you could do just about anything based on how much practice you had with them. Seriously, creating a wrench out of thin air is an example in the book, as is a laser pistol.

I absolutely love Gamma World, and own every edition, but the d20 version went from something I spent over a year waiting in eager anticipation for to something I regret ever having opened and read, much less spent money on. Ick. :(

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Twowolves said:
What killed it for me wasn't the lack of plant PCs. :(
Why would you want to be a veggie? What's so great about being in a vegetative state of mind? :\

Or a fruit for that matter. Nothing to go banana over it, unless you have a thing for melons.

An orchid? Why, are you a late bloomer? This whole concept is thorny, if you ask me. Better to nip this in the bud.

Wik

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Why would you want to be a veggie? What's so great about being in a vegetative state of mind? :\

Or a fruit for that matter. Nothing to go banana over it, unless you have a thing for melons.

An orchid? Why, are you a late bloomer? This whole concept is thorny, if you ask me. Better to nip this in the bud.

*BOOOO* *Hissssss......*

For what it's worth, I wasn't one to really play any of the Gamma World games, d20 or otherwise, but Omega World d20 has got to be my favourite d20 product, EVER.

Remove ads