• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Gaps in 4e Design

Cadfan

First Post
One of the things I enjoy designing the most is material to fill what I'd term the "gaps" in 4e. By "gaps," I mean places where the rules or flavor suggest a class or paragon path or something should exist, but where it does not, and where, at least as far as we know, no material is planned. For example, a two weapon fighter was a gap for a while, but has ceased to be a gap since we know that the Tempest fighter is coming out.

My versatile fighter build, presently termed the Brutal Fencer, is another gap filler- versatile weapons exist, and suggest that characters should wield them with versatility, but no rules exist to make that worthwhile.

Can anyone think of any other gaps in the design that exist right now?

The best I can come up with is the heavy throwing weapons. It seems like they're underutilized. With magic weapons automatically returning to the thrower, there should be some room for a build that intentionally wields one, and makes use of it as both a melee weapon and a thrown weapon. But I'm not sure where to go with that option.

Plus, the whole idea hinges on the fact that magic weapons automatically return when you throw them. On one hand, you would think that a world where that was the case could develop a fighting style based on the assumption that you can throw your primary weapon, since it will return to you rather and you won't be left unarmed. But on the other hand, the aesthetic of D&D has always seemed to ignore the possibilities of fighting styles based on the availability of specific magic items, even where those items are freely available. So I'm not sure of whether such a build should be created, or whether it should be tied to an innately magical class or something. Maybe a paladin choice, so that you can declare that all thrown weapons return, regardless of the weapon's enchantment?

Anyways, that's the only idea I've got right now for something to design. That and my stalled Shadowcaster. Anyone else have any ideas for gaps that remain to be exploited?

Cadfan

First Post
That's true.

The more I think about throwing weapons, and the potential for a fun character that switches between throwing and fighting in melee, the more I think that a Str based paladin is the right choice. I think I'll call it the Godhammer Paladin.

DogBackward

First Post
That's true.

The more I think about throwing weapons, and the potential for a fun character that switches between throwing and fighting in melee, the more I think that a Str based paladin is the right choice. I think I'll call it the Godhammer Paladin.

I dunno. First thing I think of (mechanically, anyway) is a Ranger. With a pair of handaxes and all the powers that allow for both two-weapon fighting and multiple ranged attacks, it makes a pretty good setup. I have a dagger-wielding archery ranger that actually works really well, despite the lower base damage. Turning that into an alternating melee/ranged guy seems like it'd be pretty easy. Go with a bugbear with a pair of large handaxes, and you keep the 1d8 damage of twinned longswords or scimitars, and you get +2 Str. and Dex., which will be your main stats.

Thematically, the holy warrior with a thrown weapon is cool, but being limited to ranged basic attacks for the throwing part doesn't seem to go as deep into the theme as I'd probably like, is all.

Cadfan

First Post
Thematically, the holy warrior with a thrown weapon is cool, but being limited to ranged basic attacks for the throwing part doesn't seem to go as deep into the theme as I'd probably like, is all.
Right, that's why it would rebalance the class slightly (ie, create a build option), and why I'd include some ranged encounter and daily powers.
I dunno. First thing I think of (mechanically, anyway) is a Ranger. With a pair of handaxes and all the powers that allow for both two-weapon fighting and multiple ranged attacks, it makes a pretty good setup.
You could do that. It would still take some rebalancing, I think- I'm not convinced that a pair of handaxes is a good idea for a two weapon fighting ranger, when you could be wielding bastard swords instead. Even with the possible ranged attacks.

Might be an alright choice for the new ranger with the animal companion. He doesn't get the bypass on the offhand weapon rules like the regular TWF (assuming he works the way the leaked info suggests, as a new build option), so handaxes are more his style.

Asmor

First Post
The Dragonborn entry features a winged Dragonborn. I'd say that suggests a dragonborn-only paragon path that gains wings, perhaps amongst other things.

jbear

First Post
Yeah, a dborn with flight; that would be sweet. It would solve the problem that they cant ride a horse for long distance travel as well.

Remove ads