• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Garments for a young nobleman?

Okay, I want to know what garments a young nobleman would wear. Something kind of Renaissance Italy, perhaps. Fancy, but not impractical....

Anyway, I'm posting this before heading off to class....

Deadguy

First Post
Something Grand?

Well, of course, costume changes enormously over the centuries, and I am far from being an expert on mediaeval/renaisance costume. However, if all you are doing is looking for some ideas, then I suggest his costume would be somthing like this (going from inside to outside):

• loincloth of linen, cotton or even silk
  • cotton or linen shirt (these things tend to be very long, and can double up as night attire!)
  • doublet of velvet or similar material, padded and/or slashed depending on the fashion, decorated with embriodery
  • hose (essentially thick linen tights) tied to the waist of the doublet
  • codpiece, often highly decorated
  • small cloak or a cape, again highly decorative, usually covering the left shoulder
  • a hat or hood, to keep the head warm (don't underestimate how important that is)
  • shoes of felt or fine leather, frequently cut with patterns
Outside he might add a heavier cloak, gloves of leather and perhaps wooden pattens to raise his feet above the mud.

This represents no particular era, but is a basic style of clothing for a wellborn man. Note that in the real world, bright colours are a mark of great wealth, since dyes are expensive and clothing needs to be redyed as colours are prone to bleaching in the sun. Black is one of the most expensive colours, if you want a deep shade - otherwise it tends to grey. other expensive colours are crimson and purple, usually regarded as princely and regal colours. As well as the colours, then silver and gold thread, pearls and other gemstones can be used to set off garments, making beautiful patterns. Also hems can be cut with a variety of shapes to create 'dagging', which adds to the attractiveness of the garments.

All told, a wealthy man's clothes could respresent a significant portion of a man's wealth. I often make comparison with the ownership of cars: they're status symbols which ineviatably depreciate in value! :)

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Ach, yer gonna have to accessorize that outfit. Put two pennies in yer pocket for the boatman.

A getup like that is askin' for trouble from the finely dressed dwarf in the back alley: Chain shirt, iron-shod boots, lots o' daggers.

Wulf

Last edited:

Remove ads