Gary Gygax co-written Unpublished Setting. Bonus Stretch Goal for Kickstarter!

R

RevTurkey

The Kickstarter is awesome.

For $20 you get... (in digest print, delivered!)
Appendix N Adventure Toolkit #1 : "The Ruins of Ramat"
Appendix N Adventure Toolkit #1 a: "The Witch of Wydfield"
Appendix N Adventure Toolkit #2 : “The Crumbling Tower"
Appendix N Adventure Toolkit #3 : “Danger in the Sulyndri Forrest.”
Appendix N Adventure Toolkit #4 : “The Revenge of Abudakar"

And...at time going to press, less than $400 away from:
"Appendix N Adventures Game Box.”

For $30 you also get...

Appendix N Options. 8 pdfs:
"Something I did not even consider when I was putting together this Kickstarter is how BHP will also be supporting the DCC RPG with little pdf releases (in addition to the modules listed in this Kickstarter). This line of pdf-only products is called, “Appendix N Adventure Options.” BHP began as a pdf publisher putting out many pdfs in support of Labyrinth Lord, and I am going to do the exact same thing in support of the DCC RPG. Indeed, I have what I think are some unique (and very DCC RPG) takes on the optional character classes of ranger, bard and paladin. In addition, I also have an entire, pantheon of gods to be released with detailed descriptions of their faith, followers, rituals, teachings, major and minor places of worship, spells and holy items, etc. The gods of this pantheon include: Rhuynda (Withered Old Witch), Thaxson (The Just), Glenys (Wise Mother), Oska (The Goat god), Olmina (Sister Sea), Wurdyn (The Old Man), Miven (The Shameful), Shorn (The Scholar) and Valtor (The Mighty). Plus, other releases will include new magic-user spells (with single-page sheets), magic rituals, unique magic items, additional patrons, etc. "

And...if it hits the $1500 mark any backer of $20 or more gets...

Final Bonus Goal: ($15,000) Five years ago, I spent many months working with Gary Gygax on a unique campaign setting for his game, Lejendary Adventures. We shared back-and-forth almost daily about designing settings, npc races, magic item creation, divine beings, etc. Maps were created and art was commissioned. With Gary's passing and the end of his game, I decided to not release this material. However, from the first time I got to read some of the early DCC RPG play-test material, I knew this campaign setting had found a new home! So my friends, if this kickstarter reaches $15,000, everyone who has pledged $20 or more will also receive a pdf copy and a print copy of, Appendix N Adventure Toolkit #5 : "The Old Isle Campaign Setting." This product will include a 11" x 17" color campaign map, a digest Player's and Referee's Guide. While all Appendix N Adventures are generic and can be placed into any campaign, they all do have specific locations in the Old Isle Setting. This campaign setting will ship in April 2013.

Incredible.

The Gary Gygax connection...According to the blurb it sounds like he had a fair amount of input.
That wouldn't surprise me. Gary had a lot more enthusiasm about Lejendary Adventure than about D&D (or C&C/clones/et cetera). If you asked Gary a question about D&D, he'd give you a polite answer; if you asked Gary about Lejendary Adventure, you'd be likely to start a full-blown conversation. He preferred it: he preferred talking about it, he preferred running it, and I don't think it's a stretch to say that he probably preferred working on LA-related material. (Heck, even some of the C&C material he created was created using LA game stats, and converted to C&C by the Trolls -- the Yggsburgh book is one example.)

In short, I'd expect a Lejendary Adventure project to get a lot of attention and enthusiasm from Gary.

R

RevTurkey

Well, the $10,000 mark has been reached.

So for $20 or more you now get the special digest game box as well.

Less than $5k and 15 days to go to get that Gary Gygax co-written setting too!

John Adams

First Post
Thanks for the thread, guys! :)

However, I do not want folks to be confused. "The Old Isle" is MY setting, approved by Gary. He helped me flesh it out as we corresponded by email about elves, evil, magic, gods etc. He provided suggestions and critiques, but Gary did not write any of the setting. He clearly had a hand in it as the editor, but it was my project I wrote for his game.

I am not trying to use his name to sell products, nor will this campaign setting be marketed using his name. However, it is true that he was a part of the project in its development.

For those folks who think I am trying to take advantage of the "Gygax Estate," I have offered them an opportunity to get Lejendary Adventures back into publication (without BHP earning anything from it) four times in the first three years after Gary's death without any response at all.

Just trying to be clear. :)

Tanstaafl_au

Explorer
I wish you lots of success. And thank you for clarifying your position.
I do think people pledging are getting an extremely good deal for a small amount of money.

As this thread was titled "Gary Gygax co-written Unpublished Setting" I took it as being that (co-written) and didn't twig on reading your kick starter page that this wasn't the case, as you make it sound very collaborative on that page. I realise you didn't name this thread.

I'd disagree that you aren't using Gary's name to help market the kick starter though.

R

RevTurkey

Hi y'all. I wrote this thread so sorry if anybody feels misled. It wasn't intentional.

From reading the Kickstarter I got the impression that Gygax was more heavily involved in the creative process for the 'Old Isle' bonus stretch goal.

Thanks John for clarifying this. It sounds like he did have input though through discussion, even if he didn't actually put pen to paper. That's still pretty cool. It is still a great deal folks and a Brave Halfling setting approved and influenced directly by Gary Gygax is still something I'd love to own.

For those folks who think I am trying to take advantage of the "Gygax Estate," I have offered them an opportunity to get Lejendary Adventures back into publication (without BHP earning anything from it) four times in the first three years after Gary's death without any response at all.
Man, that's too bad. I'd like to see a well-done edition of Lejendary Adventure, and I know you like the system and would treat it right.

Ringlerun

First Post
Just upped my pledge. This is going to be a great kickstarter and i can see the old isle being the default setting for playing DCC or any other fantasy rpg.

Remove ads