Gary Gygax Passes

edemaitre

Explorer
Gygax is gone, but not forgotten...

Thanks for passing along the sad news that "Dungeons & Dragons" co-creator E. Gary Gygax has died. I first learned of this from a co-worker and one of my gamers.

Even as we enjoy D&D3.5 and look ahead to Fourth Edition, I have fond memories of first playing the boxed sets back in the early 1980s and of finding the pamphlets of the original 1970s version of the game. I've also read several of Gygax's fantasy novels, played in "Greyhawk," and used many of the ideas he helped establish in our hobby.

I'll try to commemorate Gygax and other fallen friends at my own game table tonight.

petrovyoung

First Post
Ernest Gary Gygax (July 27, 1938 – March 4, 2008; last name pronounced /ˈɡaɪɡæks/ <small>GYE</small>-gaks)<sup id="cite_ref-D.26Dfaq_1-0" class="reference">[2]</sup> was an American writer and game designer, best known for co-creating the pioneering role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) with Dave Arneson. Gygax is generally acknowledged as the father of role-playing games.<sup id="cite_ref-gamespy1.1_2-0" class="reference">[3]</sup>
In the 1960s, Gygax created an organization of wargaming clubs and founded the Gen Con gaming convention. In 1971, he helped develop Chainmail, a miniatures wargame based on medieval warfare. He co-founded the company Tactical Studies Rules (TSR, Inc.) with childhood friend Don Kaye in 1973. The following year, he and Dave Arneson created Dungeons & Dragons, which expanded on his work on Chainmail and included elements of the fantasy stories he loved as a child. In the same year, he founded The Dragon, a magazine based around the new game. In 1977, Gygax began work on a more comprehensive version of the game, called Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Gygax designed numerous manuals for the game system, as well as several pre-packaged adventures called "modules" that gave a person running a D&D game (the "Dungeon Master") a rough script and ideas on how to run a particular gaming scenario. In 1983, he worked to license the D&D product line into the successful Dungeons & Dragons cartoon series.

I am a fan of him and i think everyone will miss his creation

Remove ads