Gary Gygax's (Old) New Magic System

Geoffrey

First Post
In 1988 or so, I picked up a small newsletter (about 4 pages) that was published by New Infinities. In it was an article in which Gary Gygax mentioned that he was writing a new FRPG (Dangerous Journeys: Mythus), and that it would have a magic system "with more blood and thunder" in it than in AD&D's magic system.

Does anyone else remember this newsletter? Does anyone have a spare copy (or even a photocopy) for a poor old Gygaxian gamer who long ago misplaced the aforementioned newsletter?

ninthcouncil

First Post
I don't know about the newsletter, but Mythus: Dangerous Journeys was eventually published by GDW, the makers of Traveller, and subsequently became the subject of a nasty little legal wrangle between then and TSR, who insisted that Gygax had still been contracted to them when he wrote it. GDW lost, the game was pulled, and the whole debacle played a substantial part in the demise of GDW.

I've no idea what it was like, though I seem to remember consensus was not favourable. Having long ago written off Gygax as (how can I put this politely?) having a very poor signal to noise ratio, I can't say I payed it much attention.

Henry@home

First Post
ninthcouncil said:
I don't know about the newsletter, but Mythus: Dangerous Journeys was eventually published by GDW, the makers of Traveller...

A good source to ask about Dangerous Journeys would be our very own Mythusmage (Alan Kellogg). He knows a little something about the game. :)

Zappo

Explorer
Henry@home said:
A good source to ask about Dangerous Journeys would be our very own Mythusmage (Alan Kellogg). He knows a little something about the game. :)
I reckon Col_Pladoh would know a few things too. ;) :D

coyote6

Adventurer
Zappo said:
I reckon Col_Pladoh would know a few things too. ;) :D

Yeah, but Alan talks about DJ more. :)

(Heck, after reading some of his stuff on DJ on Pyramid, I went out & picked up a copy on eBay. Which reminds me, I still need to find a copy of the setting book, Aerth or whatever its called...)

Remove ads