D&D General GaryCon Cancelled Because Of Caronavirus Pandemic

Gary Con, which was due to take place this month in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, has been cancelled because of the Coronavirus pandemic.

GC3-Wizard_banner-1024x335.jpg

The convention started in 2008, established by Gary Gygax's son, Luke Gygax, after the D&D Co-reator passed away. Here's the full announcement.

"... our highest priority has to be taking care of people and especially our family. The incredible staff, volunteers, and game masters, Gary Con has been proud to host the celebration of Gary’s life with a continued emphasis on creating fun, friendly and high quality gaming experiences for our attendees. It is with that priority in mind that we have decided, after many hours of internal deliberation and consultation with the Grand Geneva leadership, that we should cancel this year’s event. We decided that the health and well-being of our gaming family comes first. We continued planning and did everything in our power to make Gary Con run as normal, we are convinced that following both government guidance and our own judgement concerning the COVID-19 virus is the best course of action."

The Grand Geneva Resort, which was hosting the event, has allowed the event to be cancelled with no fee. Reservation fees will be refunded soon, and those affected will get a discount in 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaron L

Hero
Well it's bad for old people and people not in the best health.

So double damned.
Yeah; it sucks but it's better than a lot of people maybe getting sick and possibly dying.

Here in Pennsylvania all the schools have been shut down for at least the next two weeks. I don't ever remember seeing anything like this before.

cmad1977

Hero
Yeah; it sucks but it's better than a lot of people maybe getting sick and possibly dying.

Here in Pennsylvania all the schools have been shut down for at least the next two weeks. I don't ever remember seeing anything like this before.

L.A. schools closed for two weeks as well but I’m confident that the schools will be closed for longer. Two weeks seems pretty optimistic.

I don't think it will be as bad as 1918, the population has tripled or quadrupled since then. It would have to kill the equivalent of 30-40 million or perhaps double that.
If 20% of the world’s population get Coronavirus, a 3% mortality rate (which is lower than the current mortality rate) would see over 46 million people die from it worldwide. So I’m hoping we don’t see that, but it is definitely possible.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases