Gate Pass Gazette Gate Pass Gazette v0: Constructed, Artificers, Lyncanthropes, and Jabberwocks, Oh My!

VenerableBede

Adventurer
As everyone knows, the test issue of the Gate Pass Gazette has been released, and I have to say that I had oodles of fun reading through this thing. Hands-down, my favorite aspect was the Constructed character race—whole lot of fun to be had there. I was particularly excited for the heritage gift that allowed you to, effectively, treat your hand as a hand crossbow but without the loading property—immediately gave me lots of ideas for fighter and rogue builds to play around with.

What was your favorite part of the Gate Pass Gazette?

Some other highlights and notes for me:
  • Artificer
    • A lot less spells prepared than in the playtest version, but I don't personally have any issue with that—I like this version of the artificer and am quite interested in giving it a try.
    • I really appreciated the added text that makes it clear an artificer can draw and stow inventions as part of using them to cast a spell. The text does specifically state that the artificer must do so as part of an action, though, so by my reading that means you'll always need to have your spells with a Reaction casting time already in hand to make any use of them—same with Bonus Action.
    • Speaking of spells, cure wounds on an arcane caster?... I like it! Interestingly enough, artificers (outside of combat) might even be able to cast Cure Wounds more effectively multiple times as a level 1 spell than any other caster would be able to as a leveled spell, since casting the spell at higher spell levels adds more dice to the healing but does not multiple the amount of times that you add your spellcasting modifier to the healing. Since the artificer is just as likely to fizz out the invention casting it twice at level one as casting it once at level two, just cast it twice at level one and add your spellcasting modifier twice.
    • Personally, I'm still not impressed by the bombardier archetype, but I immediately got lots of character ideas as I read through the Engineer and the Stitcher which, for me, means it's going on my list of classes to play ASAP, regardless of how strong or weak it ultimately turns out. As a fan of archetypes with pets as the main feature, the Stitcher particularly grabbed my attention. (Wasn't a huge fan of the 15th level feature of the Engineer, though... I often play with groups that really enjoy dungeon delving, and bringing a Huge vehicle into a dungeon is usually a tight squeeze. I imagine this feature will be absolutely incredible for other campaigns, though.)
    • I thought using Infusions to power the archetype features, rather than prepared spells, was a really good change, although players in campaigns with lots of magic items might find the decision between making a second magic sword or upgrading their boat/monstrosity a painful decision.
  • Lycanthropy
    • I find myself humming and hawing here, because I really loved the variety and flavor in these feats while at the same time being a little frustrated that there was so much overlap between the different types of lycanthropes—but I also think that frustration is a little silly, because I'd rather have multiple different feat trees with some overlap than a single feat tree that tried to serve every lycanthrope type and, as a result, was either ridiculously overpowered or failed to make the difference between the various lycanthropes feel meaningful. In short, I think a good job was done here.
  • Jabberwock
    • Definitely throwing this—and the Jabberwocky—at my players the first chance that I get. This is just plain a fun monster with lots of opportunity to screw with annoying spellcasters!

Any other thoughts? Things that you noticed and found significant?

And to Morrus and the team—great work! Thanks for the added support. I sincerely hope that this issue of the Gate Pass Gazette is sufficient to convince people with the available cash to sign up and make this dream a reality.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
I'm not certain what this would do to balancing, but I do wish the artificer archetypes that used infusions to power the upgrades for their vehicle/minions got one or two "free" infusions that must be spent on upgrades, just to help the archetypes feel like they add just as much to the base class as they demand.

Another thread noted that the number of prepared spells did not change at all because spells granted by archetypes are automatically added to the spells an artificer prepares—this is the case, so a little less changed between the playtest artificer and this artificer than I thought.

i just realized the gate pass artificer lists the lab feature as the capstone on the table, but has the machine automaton at the end of the class and not on the table at all, and the lab feature at the end of the spell list. i don't know why this is bothering me more then anything else about the artificer but now it is.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
i just realized the gate pass artificer lists the lab feature as the capstone on the table, but has the machine automaton at the end of the class and not on the table at all, and the lab feature at the end of the spell list. i don't know why this is bothering me more then anything else about the artificer but now it is.
Minor layout snafu -- we'll have that lab feature snipped and update the file. :)

Faolyn

(she/her)
I'm not certain what this would do to balancing, but I do wish the artificer archetypes that used infusions to power the upgrades for their vehicle/minions got one or two "free" infusions that must be spent on upgrades, just to help the archetypes feel like they add just as much to the base class as they demand.
I think you could probably get away with one free infusion. Or maybe you get one free infusion when you hit 5th level, since that's the level that extra attacks and 3rd-level spells come into play.

Another thread noted that the number of prepared spells did not change at all because spells granted by archetypes are automatically added to the spells an artificer prepares—this is the case, so a little less changed between the playtest artificer and this artificer than I thought.
It used to be four granted spells and now it's just two. I don't think that's a bad thing at all, but it is a reduction.

It used to be four granted spells and now it's just two. I don't think that's a bad thing at all, but it is a reduction.
what? no, that's never how that worked. in the playtest you got all your archetype spells in addition to your class's prepared spells, and the same applies in the gazette version - and they didn't change any of the spells you get from archetypes.

With regards to the Lycanthropy synergy feats, it looks like to me that a lycanthrope can control their transformations to animal or hybrid form when the moon isn't full. I also feel like the Save DC vs an Involuntary Change and the length of time they can regain control their actions should be dependent on the phase of the moon. DC 18 for a Full Moon, DC 15 for a Waxing/Waning Moon, DC 13 for a New Moon? ;)

What's better, the Warforged in O5e or the Constructed Heritage in A5e? I am honestly not sure. ;) I like the Warforged Resilience and Integrated Protection traits. But I also like how the Constructed Heritage's Gifts because in a way they remind me of the Warforged's ability to swap out a hand for a melee or a ranged weapon from 3e D&D. The UA Skirmisher and Juggernaut Warforged could be the equivalent of the Military Frame Constructed. The UA Envoy could be the equivalent of the Service Frame Constructed. The Utility Frame Constructed is the unique one. The Warforged have nothing like it.

The new Artificer class is interesting.

I am tempted to become a subscriber for the Gate Pass Gazette. I take it that once there are enough subscribers to officially launch future issues of the Gazette PDF, you can buy them through Drive Thru RPG?

I am tempted to become a subscriber for the Gate Pass Gazette. I take it that once there are enough subscribers to officially launch future issues of the Gazette PDF, you can buy them through Drive Thru RPG?
i think the way it's gonna work is that you'll be charged through patreon when they release an issue and then they'll just send you the link on drive thru rpg ala backers getting their stuff

Remove ads