Gatekeepin' it real: On the natural condition of fandom

Talking of Gatekeeping, does anyone else think that, following Dracula, it would be a good idea to keep Mark Gatiss away from any kind of writing equipment?

Oofta

Legend
TLDR version: people are tribal and want to belong to a group. People have always divided the world into "us" and "them". Get over it.

On the other hand, I've found gamers in real life to be incredibly welcoming of diversity. There will always be some people who are bitter because they were into D&D before it went lamestream. The internet tends to amplify people's worst tendencies cough**paladin/gnome hate**cough.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
TLDR version: people are tribal and want to belong to a group. People have always divided the world into "us" and "them". Get over it.

On the other hand, I've found gamers in real life to be incredibly welcoming of diversity. There will always be some people who are bitter because they were into D&D before it went lamestream. The internet tends to amplify people's worst tendencies cough**paladin/gnome hate**cough.
First of all, there are reasons, GOOD REASONS, we hate gnomes.

Second, I think you are right. We evolved having to look one another in the eye in social interactions and throughout history we have tried to do wrong by one another from the shadows. Now we effectively live in the shadows by way of social media anonymity.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

No.

The answer to people behaving badly is not, "get over it."

On the other hand, I've found gamers in real life to be incredibly welcoming of diversity.

Some are, sure... But, if we were really all that open... why do we have a special word for our not being open?

The stories of women and PoC who feel the burden of having to prove they are "real geeks" stand in stark contrast to your report. So, color me skeptical that we are really all that great at it.

Remove ads