• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gateways into D&D

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
deClench said:
Now the D&D for Dummies book is a start and I hope it does well, but how many kids will stumble across it?

I think the D&D Minis and the D&D Basic Game are more likely portals for them.

Cheers!

diaglo

Adventurer
Geron Raveneye said:
Something that might take more of a budget than WotC or Hasbro are willing to sink into this, but how about spinning a TV series off of the second D&D movie? It certainly was "D&Dish" enough in my opinion, even if some of the wooden acting would have to be smoothed over, and it might get youngsters into the game, trying to create their own adventures like what they saw on TV. Or does that sound too silly to work? :lol:

back in the early 80's around the same time that Hawk the Slayer was released there was a shortlived TV series that was fantasy based. one of the actors from Taxi (iirc, Jeff Conway) and Cybil/Sybil Danning were in the main roles on opposite sides.

Wizards & Warriors, you mean?

That was a great show (at least to my memory) while it lasted. But then, I remembered Dukes of Hazzard to be far better entertainment than it actually is, so it may not be a reliable recommendation.

scourger

Explorer
MerricB said:
Has anyone witnessed play of the D&D Basic Game amongst utter newbies?

Not since 1980, although I did recently buy the exact set that I had back then (complete with old, uncolored dice & the crayon to color in the pips).

MerricB said:
Has anyone seen people's reactions to D&D for Dummies?

Most people I game with laughed when I brought it to the table. I think it's on semi-permanent loan to our resident D&D dummy, who is, ironically, a DM.

MerricB said:
What else could be done?

I think they've got to make the standard game much simpler. After all these years, I've just hit my limit with it.

survivesurvivor

First Post
Me!! I started off with the Dummie's and grabbed the Basic Game! ;)

Ok, seriously new, barely 2 months since i've started.

Basically i'm DMing my younger bro through the Sunless Citadel, and after playing thru the Basic Game, we found the Citadel real tough to run due to the lack of maps. Honestly, maybe we are spoiled by the Basic Game or something, but trying to sketch rooms out on pieces of transparency over the DM Guide's foldout map is very exhausting!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
survivesurvivor said:
Me!! I started off with the Dummie's and grabbed the Basic Game! ;)

Ok, seriously new, barely 2 months since i've started.

Fantastic! I hope you're enjoying it.

Basically i'm DMing my younger bro through the Sunless Citadel, and after playing thru the Basic Game, we found the Citadel real tough to run due to the lack of maps. Honestly, maybe we are spoiled by the Basic Game or something, but trying to sketch rooms out on pieces of transparency over the DM Guide's foldout map is very exhausting!

Heh. I know what you mean. You can actually buy erasable grids (either as big mats or tiles), which is what I use. They're somewhat pricey, but worth it in the end.

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads