Gatorfolk

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
The Alligator Warrior, presented in Sword Sorcery's Creature Collection [Revised] (pgs. 32-33) is too powerful for my taste. Here is my watered down and modified version, and more aptly named Gatorfolk.

Gatorfolk Racial Traits:
  • +8 Str, +4 Con, -2 Wis, -4 Cha
  • A gatorfolk's base land speed is 40 feet and base swim speed is 30 feet.
  • Large size
  • Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
  • Monstrous Humanoid type, Reptilian subtype
  • Powerful Build: Gatorfolk have very dense musculature that lets them function in many ways as if they are one size category larger.
  • Racial Hit Dice: Gatorfolk begin with two levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 2D8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1 and base save bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3and Will +0.
  • Racial Skills: A gatorfolk's humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Because of their tails gatorfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump and Swim checks. In dense forests and swamp environments gatorfolk receive a +6 bonmus to their Hide skill checks.
  • Racial Feats: A gatorfolk's humanoid levels give it one feat.
  • Weapon & Armor Proficiency: Gatorfolk are automatically proficient with simple weapons and shields.
  • +5 natural armor bonus
  • Natural Weapons: Gatorfolk have a vicious bite attack that enable them to inflict massive amounts of damage on their prey. Their bite inflicts 2D6 damage plus their Strength modifier.
  • Hold Breath: Gatorfolk can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to four times its Constitution score.
  • Automatic Languages: Common, Saurian1
  • Favored Class: Barbarian or Ranger
  • Level Adjustment: +4
1A language that all creatures with the reptilian sub-type are able to communicate with, assuming the creature has a vocal structure that enables them to at least make a guttural noise.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I like it

except for
Because of their tails gatorfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump and Swim checks. In dense forests and swamp environments gatorfolk receive a +6 bonmus to their Hide skill checks.

In particular I don't see how the big heavy tail of a gator helps with jumping :confused:

I'd be more inclined to drop these entirely and replace them with a Swim speed 30 :D

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Tonguez said:
In particular I don't see how the big heavy tail of a gator helps with jumping :confused:

I'd be more inclined to drop these entirely and replace them with a Swim speed 30 :D
Well, I was the Lizardfolk as a base, and since they have have it, I thought that Gatorfolk should have it as well.

The gatorfolk already do have a base swim speed of 30.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Frukathka said:
Well, I was the Lizardfolk as a base, and since they have have it, I thought that Gatorfolk should have it as well.

The gatorfolk already do have a base swim speed of 30.

oops didn't read that:)

but yeah I still think the skill bonuses ought to be dropped
although come to think of it perhaps Gatorfolk should get a +10 hide bonus when in the water...

Mighty Veil

First Post
Don't like the race's name. Why not Gatormen. Or get creative, look up the name in Latin, and play with that. I use a gatorman like race in my game. I call the, Cai'men.

redkobold

Explorer
Here is a nice gator man miniature for sale. I think it is also 30% off because the guy is closing up shop.

http://www.fozzbozz.com/default.aspx?item=34-BW041

I sculpted the originals and also have some extra castings if this guy and a similar figure if Fozzbozz sells out and there is still interest. I took down my store when Fozzbozz started selling my figures.

Here are two links to my website showing the gator men and a few others:

gallery of cast and painted figures

"greens" sculpts gallery

Sincerely,
Kevin Chenevert
www.Lyonstudio.biz

Eloi

First Post
It feels like it has a lot of potential, especially if you select a Ranger with ambush tendencies.

Hide, throw a big spear, wade into close combat through the swampy water.. I can see "grapple them into the water and drown them" being a potent tactic. :]

Nyaricus

First Post
The type should be monstrous humanoid, IMHO.

And an ogre, which is ECL 6 (4 HD and +2 LA) seems very weak compared to this beast, which is only ECL 5. With the two levels now Monstrous humanoid, and with those thoughts in mind, I'd call this roughly LA +4.

cheers,
--N

Henrix

Explorer
Here are som even better gator men minis (by Privateer):

75008-gatormen-posse-box-set.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases