Gauntlgrymm

Werebat

Explorer
I have not read the FR books and am running Out of the Abyss.

Party is about to reach Gauntlgrymm and I did some background reading to help me learn more about the city.

Found information that led me to believe that the city has fallen into ruin and that Bruenor Battelhammer is dead.

But he's running the city in the module, and the city seems blissfully empty of vampires, illithid-derro madminds, and a bunch of other stuff.

What gives?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Bruenor discovered the lost dwarven city of Gauntlgrym and died preventing the release of the primordial that powered it by the drow. A hundred and some years later he was reincarnated for 5e and has returned to settle the city as its king.

That's the short version. I suggest reading the novel Gauntlgrym by R. S. Salvatore for the full story, because Breunor's death is way cool and suitable dwarvish way to go out.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
It was a product of the changeover to 4E. Salvatore was not happy he had to kill off all his characters. He and Greenwood were the major architects of resetting the setting on the change to 5e.

I tapped out of that series ages ago, so I had no idea Bruenor had died, let alone come back. I was expecting Bruenor to be this hoary, aged dwarf, and was a bit bemused to see him at pretty much the same age when I last read about him in the early 90s!

You mean another FR icon that can't be killed and comes back to haunt us edition after edition? NO! What a suprise *G*

Remove ads