• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaze Attack, Breath Weapon, Poisontooth Templates

VirgilCaine

First Post
Heres a rough outline of three templates I thought up. Yeah, there's not much flavor to them, but if I need to add something to merit +1 CR, suggestions would be welcome.

Creating a "Breather"
Breather is a template that can be added to any animal or magical beast (referred to hereafter as the "base creature"). If an animal, the creature's type changes to "magical beast." It uses all of the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Special Attacks: A breather retains all of the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following attack:
Breath Weapon:

Roll 1d6 or choose one:
1 Cone of Fire*
2 Cone of Cold
3 Line of Acid*
4 Line of Lightning
5 Cone of Sound
6 Cone of Petrification
* A cone is always 30' long and a line is always 60' long.

The save DC is equal to half the creatures hit die plus it's Constitution modifier. The breath weapon deals 1d6 damage per two hit die and can be used once every 1d4 rounds.

Special Qualities: A Breather retains of the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following:
Resistances: The base creature gains resistance 10 to the type of energy of its breath weapon.
If the breath weapon is petrification, it gains the following:
Immunity: Immune to petrification.

Abilities: Constitution +2.
Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1.

Creating a "Gazer"
"Gazer" is a template that can be added to any animal, magical beast, or (referred to hereafter as the "base creature"). If an animal, the creature's type changes to "magical beast." It uses all of the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Special Attacks: A gazer retains all of the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following attack:

Gaze Attack:
Roll 1d6 or choose one:
1 Fear, as the spell.
2 Charmed, as the spell charm person.
3 Petrified, as a medusa.
4 Death, as bodak's death gaze, except slain creatures do not rise as bodaks.

The save DC is equal to half the creatures hit die plus it's Constitution modifier. The gaze attack is effective within 30'.

Creating a "Poisontooth" creature
"Poisontooth" is a template that can be added to any animal, magical beast, or (referred to hereafter as the "base creature"). If an animal, the creature's type changes to "magical beast." It uses all of the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Special Attacks: A poisontooth creature retains all of the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following attack:

Poison type:
Roll 1d6 or choose one:
1 Dexterity
2 Strength
3 Constitution
4 Special

Damage table:
1 1d4/1d4
2 1d6/1d6
3 1d6/2d6
4 2d6/2d6

Special Table:
1 Wisdom damage
2 Sleep
3 Paralysis
4 Memory Loss (as pixie arrow)

The save DC is equal to half the creatures hit die plus it's Constitution modifier.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I agree with Boz. But there's just one catch- the gaze "death-as per nymph" doesn't work anymore- nymphs now stun, not kill. But still, change nymph to bodak and it works just the same.

Demiurge out.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Thanks!
It had occurred to me later that there might be some problems with the death poison or the memory loss poison being too strong for +1 CR. Or am I just worrying too much?

Remove ads