• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gen Con - Good bad and ugly

Darth K'Trava

First Post
IronWolf said:
I certainly think as EN World community members we probably see things a little differently. We have at our disposal when we go to big cons (especially Gen Con) numerous pick-up games to play in and numerous players to play in games we may run. So from the perspective of finding people to play with, that isn't really an issue.

I have no idea as to the Gen Con financials, but renting the convention center isn't free. So some money needs to be generated by charging to play in a game. I would think those funds help pay for the space being used by a gaming table and the staff that helps keep the convention running. So even if only running two games, there are still reasons to collect money at the table, even if a badge isn't being reimbursed. Without the paying convention goers and games there wouldn't even be a large (and great) convention to go to to draw all the EN Worlders together in the same city at the same time.

I think pick-up games are great fun and certainly easier to schedule than having to worry about getting tickets and knowing your schedule months in advance. But also I also think EN Worlders running a sanctionioned game has its merits. I think the group of people here tend to run and play in quality games for the most part. These are the people you *want* playing in the convention games acting as "ambassadors" of the hobby *and* the community we have here. A lot of good things can come from that, even if it means collecting generic tickets from people that show up to play.

I help run a much smaller convention here in NC. And we don't charge players to play in games. Our source of income for a con is from badges, dealer table sales and art show panels. We have a budget we have to follow to get the space we use, guests and tables for the dealers room. I'm sure they can generate income from other sources than charging tickets for playing in games that aren't "pick-up games". Unless they don't get any sort of discount for selling x number of room nights at the various hotels.

IronWolf

blank
Darth K'Trava said:
I help run a much smaller convention here in NC. And we don't charge players to play in games. Our source of income for a con is from badges, dealer table sales and art show panels. We have a budget we have to follow to get the space we use, guests and tables for the dealers room. I'm sure they can generate income from other sources than charging tickets for playing in games that aren't "pick-up games". Unless they don't get any sort of discount for selling x number of room nights at the various hotels.

Having no insider (or even good outside understanding) knowledge on Gen Con, LLC finances or arrangements they have in place I can't comment too much on where they get their money or how much they make at one of their conventions.

As for the hotel rooms, they are already getting a break on the rooms themselves to get the Gen Con rate. Coupled with I think that when Gen Con is able to rent a certain number of rooms, they either get a serious break on use of the hotel's ballroom. Still not paying for the use of the convention center's space itself.

Again, I know nothing of the financials of the convention, so who knows maybe they are making out like bandits! :)

Darth K'Trava

First Post
IronWolf said:
Having no insider (or even good outside understanding) knowledge on Gen Con, LLC finances or arrangements they have in place I can't comment too much on where they get their money or how much they make at one of their conventions.

After having this many, they probably fund it from last year's con revenues.

As for the hotel rooms, they are already getting a break on the rooms themselves to get the Gen Con rate. Coupled with I think that when Gen Con is able to rent a certain number of rooms, they either get a serious break on use of the hotel's ballroom. Still not paying for the use of the convention center's space itself.

Most, if not all, cons get a break on room rates. It's just whether they can get a price break on the con space for selling a certain number of room nights. Again, I'm not sure how this would affect the convention space as it's separate from the hotels.

Again, I know nothing of the financials of the convention, so who knows maybe they are making out like bandits! :)

Neither do I. Which is why I can only make guesses based on what we've done with our con. :)

I just remembered. I actually caught the tail end of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" at Gen Con. It was showing at the Kenzer Booth.

Does anyone know good rules for quickdraw gunfights? Or does it just come down to initiative? I really want to work one into my modern game now.

Steve Jung

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
I just remembered. I actually caught the tail end of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" at Gen Con. It was showing at the Kenzer Booth.

Does anyone know good rules for quickdraw gunfights? Or does it just come down to initiative? I really want to work one into my modern game now.
Have you looked at Sidewinder: Recoiled? Each combat begins with a fast-draw round. Participants' initiatives are modified by such things as whether or not they have their weapons already drawn or not. Another modifier is the Showdown, basically opposed Intimidate checks.

Remove ads