Gen Con Has Doubled In Size Since 2010

This year's Gen Con set a new record, with 61,423 individual attendees (that's 197,695 turnstile). The annual growth since 2010 has been 9%, and it has more than doubled its attendance since then. Of course, Indianapolis hasn't doubled its number of hotels, so it's not all good news! Next year's convention moves back to August, starting on August 4th, 2016.

This year's Gen Con set a new record, with 61,423 individual attendees (that's 197,695 turnstile). The annual growth since 2010 has been 9%, and it has more than doubled its attendance since then. Of course, Indianapolis hasn't doubled its number of hotels, so it's not all good news! Next year's convention moves back to August, starting on August 4th, 2016.

Here's the full press release for those who enjoy press releases!

Gen Con 2015 Continues Six-Year Streak of Record-Breaking Growth

INDIANAPOLIS (August 3, 2015)Gen Con 2015 has set an all-new attendance record with a unique attendance of 61,423 and a turnstile attendance of 197,695, creating a six-year span of record growth. Since 2010, Gen Con has more than doubled in attendance. Year-over-year, Gen Con has experienced 9% attendance growth, primarily driven by 4-Day and Family Fun Day badge sales. Gen Con also has raised more than $38,500 for the convention’s Official 2015 Charity, The Julian Center.

Gen Con 2015 also was the first time that the convention held more than 400 exhibiting companies and sold out the retailer-and-educator-focused Trade Day. The convention was Co-Sponsored by Mayfair Games and Paizo Inc.

Gen Con will return to Indianapolis for its 49th convention on August 4-7, 2016.

Gen Con 2015 Quotes
“Another year, another life-changing Gen Con! While it always seems impossible, the global Gen Con community continues to find ways to keep coming up with new, bigger ideas on how to make each Gen Con the best yet. On behalf of the entire Gen Con team, I would like to thank our attendees, sponsors, exhibitors, volunteers, event organizers, local partners, and the city of Indianapolis. Gen Con appreciates your warm welcome and Hoosier hospitality.” - Adrian Swartout, CEO/Owner of Gen Con LLC

“The ‘Best Four Days in Gaming’ is always a fun time in Indy, and this year was no exception. Gen Con is an important contributor to Indy’s economy, and more importantly, a great partner organization. The entire city enjoys this convention, and I was delighted to once again welcome Gen Con to Indianapolis.” - Greg Ballard, Mayor of Indianapolis

“After 13 years of hosting Gen Con, it’s clear that Indy gets Gen Con and Gen Con gets Indy. Gen Con is a one-of-a-kind cultural event that energizes our city and drives more than $67 million in annual economic activity. Central Indiana’s hospitality community is incredibly appreciative of our partnership with Gen Con and we are proud to be the home of the world’s longest-running and best-attended hobby gaming convention. We congratulate Gen Con’s leadership team on yet another year of record-setting attendance in Indy.” - Leonard Hoops, president & CEO of Visit Indy.

"What an amazing four days in downtown Indy! With so much to do and see, Gen Con continues to be the most dynamic and exciting convention to grace Indianapolis. The weather was perfect and the Convention Center and Georgia Street are close to so many activities that really showcased downtown Indy as a great place for people to gather and enjoy themselves. Sun King is grateful for our partnership with Gen Con and look forward to working to make next year even better." - Clay Robinson, Co-Founder, VP of Marketing, Sun King Brewing Co.

“We are extremely grateful to the organizers of Gen Con and all those responsible for the many charity events as well as the generous, friendly attendees this weekend. Everyone was so friendly and interested in learning more about our work helping those who are dealing with domestic and sexual violence in Indianapolis. Thank you for selecting The Julian Center as your charity. Your generosity truly helps us save lives and empower hundreds of women, men and families to live safe, independent lives.” - Catherine O’Connor, President and CEO of The Julian Center.

Celebrim

Legend
Gen Con is in a great location, just draw a 1000 miles circle around Indy and see all population it has to draw from.

1000 miles is about a 20 hour drive, and as such once you move out to about 1000 miles everything is roughly as close to everything else because it's easier and often cheaper to just fly.

A circle corresponding to a 5 hour drive is more realistic, because 5 hours is about what you can do leaving in the evening and arriving by bed time or leaving in the morning and still having half-day for activities. Also, a 5 hour drive can be done basically without stops in a single stretch. If the drive is longer than 5 hours, you have to start factoring in time for meal and bathroom breaks and that adds to the difficulty of the drive.

It's not the 1000 mile circle around Indy that is impressive. It's the 250-300 mile circle. And even more important to that circle is that it's not really served by an other major Con (unless you count Origins, which sadly I don't think you can) - most of which are clustered around the edges of the country with awful 250-300 mile circles: Atlanta, San Diego, Seattle would be prime examples. Boston and NY serve the NE metroplex well, but that's about it. Geography just demands a major convention somewhere in the Midwest and Indy and Chicago are the only real alternatives. (Chicago is better for Milwaukee and Minneapolis. Indy is better for Nashville and Pittsburgh.)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The main considerations for hotels are how close they are to the con and cost. A price that'd get you a single room within walking distance ($195 for us this year) could get you a suite that's a short drive away ($175). If you do need to drive, keep in mind parking can get expensive.

We got a cheaper hotel farther out last year (maybe too cheap, but we went as a group and the person booking it is notoriously cheap) and drove in. The drive was reasonably short, access easy, and parking was cheaper than parking at downtown hotels. I have to emphasize that. Really. We paid about half for parking by driving in than we usually did getting downtown hotel and walking.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
If you attended Gen Con this year and avoided buying anything from Artist's Alley and Author's Avenue because of the checkout line, please send feedback to Gen Con. I know the lines certainly cost ME sales, I doubt I'm the only one.

@gen_con
https://www.facebook.com/genconindy?ref=hl
customerservice@gencon.com

I understand WHY Gen Con doesn't allow us to collect money (our tables are less expensive than 10x10 booths, so they get a 10% cut and we can't accept payment directly), but by costing us sales with their lines, they're costing themselves revenue.

MartyW

Explorer
It's compound. 9% on each previous year. Adds up fast.

The wording is little a bit off. There was 9% growth this year, but in prior years, the growth has bounced between 10% to 20% depending on the year... So the average rate of growth has been more than 9% over the last 5 years.

2010 - 30,000
2011 - 36,700
2012 - 41,000
2013 - 49,000
2014 - 56,600
2015 - 61,400

20%(ish) spikes in 2011 and 2013. Growth has actually slowed a bit over the last two years, but mostly because 2013 was such a large surge, that it messes up the curve for the other years.

Interestingly, the first 5 years in Indy were somewhat unsteady, attendance-wise. Surprisingly, Gen Con started to hit its strides during the worst recession years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen_Con

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyW

Explorer
The drive was reasonably short, access easy, and parking was cheaper than parking at downtown hotels.

I flew in, so for me getting downtown was tantamount for my experience (and I found some roomies to share). However, there were some hotel rooms (outside of the Gen Con housing block) that were only about $350 for Thu-Sun about 6 miles out (Yes! $350 TOTAL... and not all of them flea bags... some flea bags... but not all).

The Uber car ride to those hotels was around $10 and change. So it's not a terrible option if you aren't downtown and don't want to hassle parking. For airport area hotels, the Uber ride is closer to $15 - $20 depending on how far out (7.5 mile, 12 mile or 14 mile hotel groups).

Way better than the shuttle options, that's for sure.

fjw70

Adventurer
We got a cheaper hotel farther out last year (maybe too cheap, but we went as a group and the person booking it is notoriously cheap) and drove in. The drive was reasonably short, access easy, and parking was cheaper than parking at downtown hotels. I have to emphasize that. Really. We paid about half for parking by driving in than we usually did getting downtown hotel and walking.

I came for Sunday and stayed by the airport. I was shocked that I could park less than a block from the convention center for $6 for the full day.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads