Gen Con Is Going Ahead

Gen Con -- one of the world's biggest tabletop gaming conventions -- has announced that is will be going ahead this year from September 16th-19th. There will be three ‘formats’ including the live event. https://www.gencon.com/press/2021-postponement-new-format UK Games Expo is still planning on running at the end of July with restricted space and hotel availability (the UK vaccine program...

Gen Con -- one of the world's biggest tabletop gaming conventions -- has announced that is will be going ahead this year from September 16th-19th. There will be three ‘formats’ including the live event.

UK Games Expo is still planning on running at the end of July with restricted space and hotel availability (the UK vaccine program is currently predicting that as the goal to get everybody vaccinated).

160506599_10158522255553155_4249728835902016061_o.png

PRESS RELEASE

A Message from Gen Con’s Co-Owner and Chairperson of the Board

Friends, it’s been a long year. I know you’ve been wondering what will happen with Gen Con this year, and I can tell you that we all share that feeling. Today, we’re excited to announce our plan of action.

We are moving Gen Con 2021 to September 16-19, and holding it as a combination of three concurrent events: our in-person convention in Indianapolis with a lower attendance cap, a robust schedule of livestreaming and online gaming through Gen Con Online, and local events at games stores through Pop-Up Gen Con.

This is the plan. Based on guidance from the CDC, recent announcements by the federal government, and the projections of public-health experts, we believe there is significant cause for optimism for a mid-September convention to be held with reduced attendance and some smart modifications. If that changes and the experts tell us we need to shift course, then the plan will change.

We want to give you options so you can choose how to participate in Gen Con this year, be it in Indianapolis, at your Friendly Local Game Store, or at home from your favorite chair. If you have a badge now but don’t feel comfortable attending in person, I totally understand. You can either roll your badge forward to next year with a price-lock guarantee or get a refund in dollars or system credit.

Dates for badge, hotel, and event registration will be announced soon once we can nail down some additional details, so stay tuned to our newsletter and social media accounts to keep up on the latest news.

Those of you who have been with us for many years know that attending Gen Con means witnessing gaming history. When we gather for The Best Four Days in Gaming™, we share in a peak experience that sets the tone for trends in game development and creates a bright light of passion that we carry back to our gaming groups and communities across the U.S. and the world. When we look back, we can see how far we’ve come, and as we look forward, we’re ready for the next adventure.

After the success of Gen Con Online last year, we know that the magic feeling of Gen Con can translate to a virtual format. It’s not a substitute for the in-person experience, but rather an extension of it. Just as many of us have learned how to run our RPG games over video chat or play board games on one of the incredible virtual tabletop platforms that have been developed, we’re learning how to adapt the convention experience to flexible conditions.

Gaming is changing, and so are we. This will be a Gen Con unlike any other, and the way we emerge from this period of tragedy will carry us into a new future for Gen Con and the hobby we share and love.

After so many months of uncertainty, I remain hopeful about the future. I’m excited to get vaccinated, travel to Indianapolis, and stand once more upon the hallowed grounds of the Indiana Convention Center for a celebration of the games and culture that bring us together.

I hope you’ll join me.

- Peter Adkison

Kelsey Danger, Gen Con's community manager says --

"Hey fam,

Thanks for being patient with us (and me!) while we worked through thousands of replies, talked to our partners, and to health officials. Here's what's happening:
We're announcing new dates later in the year -- September 16th to 19th. We still don't have dates for badge reg and hotel reg, but we will soon.

We are moving forward with a multi-format Gen Con this year so you can choose the way for you and your family to safely participate. We will have Gen Con Indy with a reduced attendance cap, we will have Gen Con Online with lots of events for digital play, and we are bringing back Pop-Up Gen Con so you can participate at your local game store too. You can find out full statement, along with a personal message from Peter, attached.

Our new help desk has a lot of answers to questions you might have, so I would check there first: [link]

But I would like to emphasize two points to y'all:

1. There are absolutely chances that things may change depending on the state of health and safety. Planning a convention takes a lot of time, so if there's any chance of us having Gen Con Indy, we have to plan now even if there's a chance that things may change later. Definitely keep checking in to our website to see what the latest is.

2. The reason why we're offering so many formats is we want you to choose your comfort and safety level and still be able to participate. This year -- like last year -- is going to be wild and different, and if I'm being honest, I'm really excited about the ways we are going to be able to connect and play with each other despite all the boundaries we have. Choose the format that's best for you and yours -- no matter what you choose, it'll be a good time.

Finally, please remember: be kind to each other, be empathetic of each other's choices and lives, and take a couple deep breaths. This is going to be an emotional time for a lot of us! I'll be here to answer your questions, your concerns, and your criticisms, but I will not tolerate unkindness and cruelty.

I love y'all, and I am excited to see you soon."

MGibster

Legend
I used to think it was completely unrealistic for Romero style zombies to defeat smart, agile, tool using humans. But after seeing the response of many of my fellow countrymen who refuse to wear a mask or take a pandemic seriously I've had to reassess my opinions about the potential for zombie victory.

Zardnaar

Legend
I used to think it was completely unrealistic for Romero style zombies to defeat smart, agile, tool using humans. But after seeing the response of many of my fellow countrymen who refuse to wear a mask or take a pandemic seriously I've had to reassess my opinions about the potential for zombie victory.

If you're cynical to begin with you don't get let down by your fellow humans.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Hey, sometimes you don't die. For me, after COVID in May 2020, I have permanent heart issues, I can't drink coffee, I can't exert myself in any meaningful way without my blood pressure going sky high, and two trips to the hospital cost me 10k in bills. I can barely mow the lawn, and I used to be the workhorse of the house. All because of anti-mask idiocy I would bet down here in South Florida. Celebrate ignorance!
I’ve a coworker who got it, and has trouble working a full 8-hour shift, and took weeks to get his sense of taste back.

Another guy spent a couple weeks in the hospital and lost almost 100lbs (he was about 150 or so overweight) while in there.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

Folks,
A poster was wrongheaded. It has been dealt with, and doesn't really call for further comment. Can we get back to GenCon, and not that one poster, please? Thanks much.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Okay, back to Gen Con.

I really am missing in-person conventions. I played a game in Gary Con online last year and I'll be playing a few games in the upcoming Frog God Games Game Day. I skipped Con of the North. Generally, the cost of online conventions just are not worth it to me. I can find one-shots to join for free or a small fee using Roll20's find-a-game page and generally have better luck finding slots that are convenient.

Same with industry conventions. Most just feel like a string of webinars. It is worse for gaming conventions becuase many of the activities and the vendor halls just can't be replicated well online.

The only conventions I'm interested in now are those where I can play with some of the game makers, or maybe a celebrity DM I like. But those are costly. I also have the problem of being overseas much of the time in a timezone not conducive to joining in on conventions in US time zone.

The final major drawback of online gaming conventions for me is that I can't work a family vacation into it. If I am home and can take the time off, I don't want to use it to just sit at my computer all day ignoring my family. At least with a gaming convention, I can get a hotel room and the kids can use the pool, the city may have events or place to visit that my wife and kids are interested in, or that we can all go to together, taking a break from the convention. Also, a lot of non-gaming conventions have TTRPG halls and events now, so I could go to an anime convention with my son. He can go watch movies, participate in anime-focused events and seminars, while I game.

It is hard to make on online convention into a family event. Even if the entire family are gamers--which mine are not--having everyone sit in different rooms on different computers doesn't feel like a family event.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads