• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gen Con Reports?

Psion

Adventurer
buzz said:
Man, I really need to hang with the EN crew next year. If they'll have me...

Yes. Yes you do.

There was an empty spot in my spycraft game. And Alex Flagg and Scott Gearin were playing in it. You coulda been there!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
sniffles said:
1. You can only get into a game run by Piratecat if you know the secret ENworld handshake.
2. It must be possible to identify all the ENworlders at Gen Con by the ENworld icons hovering above their heads.

I agree with Rystil. Just sign up. And then be prepared to fend off the people on the waiting list who attemt to murder you for your slot.

But honestly, while Kevin is an incredible GM, I've decided that I like having him as a player just as much. There is nothing like having Piratecat hamming it up and playing his character to the hilt at your table to make the other players bring their A Game. It's wondrous to behold.

As to item 2, yes, we all wear our ENWorld badges with our avatars on them (unless you're a rebel like me who doesn't have one). This is one of my favorite things about GenCon because it gives me an excellent excuse to stare into the chests of ENWorlders who I would enjoy staring into the chests of regardless.

In short, YES, you should find a way to get there next year. ;)

DonTadow

First Post
The Iron Dungeon Master Tournament rocked this year. It was super cool to come in as the champion and still leave champion. I"d never imagine that hot chicks would be begging me to DM a game... but that was exactly what happened at the tournament.

The tournament itself was difficult. There were a lot of talented DMs there this year. I won the tournmament by .2 points.

kiznit

Explorer
DonTadow said:
The Iron Dungeon Master Tournament rocked this year. It was super cool to come in as the champion and still leave champion. I"d never imagine that hot chicks would be begging me to DM a game... but that was exactly what happened at the tournament.

The tournament itself was difficult. There were a lot of talented DMs there this year. I won the tournmament by .2 points.
Congrats, man! Next year I'm definitely gonna have to take you on! :]

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
sniffles said:
Sigh. I wish I could go to Gen Con. :(

After reading all these stories, I've come to two conclusions:
1. You can only get into a game run by Piratecat if you know the secret ENworld handshake.
Heh - it's as hard as signing up for a game when they get announced! :D

Seriously, like anyone else, there's no secret club or anything -- the more new people I meet, the happier I am. I think most folks feel the same.

Ghostwind

First Post
Maybe next year I will finally get to play in Rel's Sky Galleons game and do some gaming with PirateCat. Had it all lined up this year but then had to bail but then turned around and made it to the con after all.

DaveStebbins

First Post
On getting into EN World games: it also doesn't hurt to just show up for them. Stuff happens, plans change, people catch the Con Crud, get hungover, etc. Two of the four EN World games I was in this year had open seats when they started. A third game had an open seat when I had to bow out (thank goodness kiznit was there to fill it) due to fatigue (real "tiredness" fatigue, not the Klaus "live the night to the fullest and then empty yourself" brand of fatigue). Heck, just standing by and watching EN World games can be as entertaining anything else you get to do at a con, plus it really cool to watch board-friends play.

So if you want to try a game but it's listed as full, stop by before it starts. If you don't get to play, well, you still have time for other stuff. If you DO get to play, everyone will will be glad you were there to fill in and it might be the highlight of your GenCon.

Rystil Arden

First Post
DaveStebbins said:
On getting into EN World games: it also doesn't hurt to just show up for them. Stuff happens, plans change, people catch the Con Crud, get hungover, etc. Two of the four EN World games I was in this year had open seats when they started. A third game had an open seat when I had to bow out (thank goodness kiznit was there to fill it) due to fatigue (real "tiredness" fatigue, not the Klaus "live the night to the fullest and then empty yourself" brand of fatigue). Heck, just standing by and watching EN World games can be as entertaining anything else you get to do at a con, plus it really cool to watch board-friends play.

So if you want to try a game but it's listed as full, stop by before it starts. If you don't get to play, well, you still have time for other stuff. If you DO get to play, everyone will will be glad you were there to fill in and it might be the highlight of your GenCon.
True words of wisdom! I believe there was only one game out of my eight ENWorld pickup games that had all the players, and that was Old One's Blood Altar. Piratecat's M&M we have FickleGM step in to help us out, reveal and then Piratecat played Lizzie in Rel's Sky Galleons and we didn't even have a Carlotta (And this is the Rel's Sky Galleons we're talking about!), frater joined us for Crothian's Paranoia, my Iron Heroes was missing half the spots, Piratecat's Gilligan's Island CoC we had Ladytoll pick up Mrs. Howell, Alenda's Halfling Musketeers we left out the final female musketeer from the gorup, and Belen's Midnight we NPCed Gregor the Rogue.

Remove ads