GenCon and "the Attack"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstruse

Legend
Now, let us all note that this supposedly happened at 1 AM, at a bar. What's the mostly likely scenario? One or more people got drunk, made some bad decisions, and got into a scuffle.

Or that someone who has made false claims of attacks previously that were found to be false (yes, in a court of law, even in a civil suit), went to a convention he is banned from attending, targeted someone for harassment (the reason he was banned), and made up yet another false attack. Hambly recorded and posted his video, set up a GoFundMe account, and "identified" his "attacker" on Twitter before ever actually filing a police report.

Personally, I hope the Indianapolis police charge him with filing a false police report.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Or that someone who has made false claims of attacks previously that were found to be false (yes, in a court of law, even in a civil suit), went to a convention he is banned from attending, targeted someone for harassment (the reason he was banned), and made up yet another false attack.

Okay. So, saying it friendly-like was not sufficient.

Mod Hat On:

This board WILL NOT be used as a court of public opinion against either Hambly, or his alleged attacker. We were not present. We do not know the truth. This is a matter for police and the courts, not the opinions of people on message boards who were not present for the incident.

This story has political elements to it. Some people on both sides of those politics just love to besmirch their opponents. But, EN World is generally a no-politics zone. We are not going to engage in that game here.

Is this perfectly clear to everyone? If not, please take it to PM or e-mail with me, or another member of the moderation staff. Thank you.

tvknight415

Explorer
When I would go to a Con, I want to sit and have a good time playing games. At the table, it didn’t matter if the other person was a guy or girl, gay or straight, fundie Christian or free spirited Wiccan, conservative republican or liberal democrat, or anywhere in between any of these. They were a fellow gamer; there to share a love of the same games I do. We could sit back and enjoy 4-6 hours of fun, regardless of what we might think about each other’s personal lives, or whether we would associate with each other beyond the con.

The only fights I remember at cons were whether than fireball did 25 hp or 12 hp, who got the +3 sword, whether d20 saved or wrecked the game, Milwaukee or Indy, or over the benefits of taking 15 minutes extra off from gaming each day to attend to “personal hygiene.”

People were well behaved. We didn’t talk politics or religion (except maybe: did you run into the prosletyzers outside this morning?). If we wanted a beer, we enjoyed one. We didn’t get manure-faced. If there were kids at the table, we tried to watch our language and, if we wanted a bit of raunch, use a lot of double-entendres to make sure other parents didn’t have to do any explaining either. And if we were away from the table, we still treated each other with the same respect. If you didn’t want to hang with the LGBTs, or with the conservative lawyers, or the cosplayers, you just did your own thing and let them do theirs. There was plenty of room at the Safehouse or The Ram for everyone without stepping on anyone’s toes.

So, really disappointed to hear that political bravo sierra has invaded the con scene. I really hope this serves as a wake-up call to anyone on any side of any disagreement to leave it at home, and just come to the con for four days of fun gaming.

Abstruse

Legend
Okay. So, saying it friendly-like was not sufficient.

Mod Hat On:

This board WILL NOT be used as a court of public opinion against either Hambly, or his alleged attacker. We were not present. We do not know the truth. This is a matter for police and the courts, not the opinions of people on message boards who were not present for the incident.

This story has political elements to it. Some people on both sides of those politics just love to besmirch their opponents. But, EN World is generally a no-politics zone. We are not going to engage in that game here.

Is this perfectly clear to everyone? If not, please take it to PM or e-mail with me, or another member of the moderation staff. Thank you.

As a member of the EN World reporting team...

Mod Edit:

As a member of the EN World reporting team, you must still obey the rules. Do not argue with moderators in-thread, and do not ignore moderator directives. If you have a problem, again, you can take it to PM or e-mail. Do not post in this thread again.

Last edited by a moderator:

ccs

41st lv DM
I'm pretty sure that some :):):):):):):) being an :):):):):):):) in a bar & maybe/maybe not causing trouble while GenCons running isn't anything new or news.

Bishop Odo

Explorer
I think it's kinda of funny, that Gencon is banning or suspending people from asking about this event, intimating that something outside of convention is not relevant to anyone safety. That could backfire on them, better to document what is happening with facts, badge numbers, photos and copies of Police reports, that seem to have been made, instant investigation only happen in TV. Gencon should make a statement advising everyone of there policies, but its bad business to say hey, what happens outside is on you, kids. Ignoring a "story" because you say there is no story, makes it a story. Someone with a press-pass, to the con wrote say, "constantly contradicting me with the words of a known industry serial harasser who has committed exactly this type of fraud before." That smacks of bias, and an agenda, ignoring, that if these statements of assault are false and a false police report was filed, then these actions are actionable.

Last edited:

Abstruse

Legend
I think it's kinda of funny, that Gencon is banning or suspending people from asking about this event...

That would be because this is an obvious hoax perpetrated by someone who has been previously banned by the convention for exactly this sort of harassment previously and the only people "just asking questions" about the incident are other trolls following the lead of their troll leader who - and I'm going to keep repeating this:

Has performed exactly this sort of hoax before and had his case thrown out of court

Made his video about the "attack", posted it online, identified his "attacker", spearheaded a harassment campaign against that person, created a GoFundMe page, and then decided to actually contact the police and file a police report - which, I'm going to repeat again, I verified with the Indianapolis Police Department because whatever else I may be, my job is reporting.

Has a lifetime ban from the DCI for harassment, as I've previously reported on for this site.

And was banned from Gen Con in previous years for harassment.

Therefore, yes, Gen Con is going to be deleting and banning anyone going onto their forums to "just ask questions" that are obviously not just asking questions because it's a gaming convention and you can't Rules Lawyer gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads