• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon Indy 2007, let's shake the male/female ratios--or not, they seem fine here ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephera

First Post
I'm going to start a new thread

That way this one can drop to the bottom of the boards and drift out of everyone's minds.

-Sephera

Last edited:

fusangite

First Post
Buttercup said:
Is that how it looks to you? Interesting. :)
Remember that "all women are crazy except me" thread in the other place; that's what I was thinking of.
Or maybe it's just that the people I started playing with were all adult professional types who were used to interacting in mixed groups without making a big deal of it.
I think this has a lot to do with it. But I have also played in my share of games that, although populated by adult professionals, were intensely masculine spaces. The social dynamic I'm thinking of is a men's weekly poker night or superbowl party. One of TB's campaigns, for instance, often ended with the GM and a bunch of the players heading over to a local strip bar for Amateur Night.

One of the games I'm in right now, actually, is a good example of a game with an awkward gender dynamic. Our DM's wife, who is used to playing in his games and has been doing so for more than a decade, genuinely feels a little uncomfortable and excluded by the really strongly guy-space vibe the group took on over its first eighteen months before we switched GMs and added her as a player. We almost never ask her opinion about anything because the way our group debates things is by people interrupting eachother, making sarcastic remarks, etc. We feel bad about the fact that she's not a great interruptor and so, occasionally someone will remember to ask her opinion and the table will go very quiet while we all feel kind of embarassed. We're also often self-censoring the sexist jokes and innuendo that became part of our group's shared culture over its first 18 months. This sometimes results in people making the joke to their immediate neighbours at the gaming table rather than to the whole group, because we don't want our newest player to be uncomfortable. This, then, results in the GM's wife feeling a little excluded because she can observe people at the table trying to suppress laughs they don't think would be appropriate for general consumption. And yet all of the people in the game were professional men in the 30s when we joined the game.

I had a similar experience in a campaign that was based around a hard-drinking straight male dynamic. Our DM ran nothing but completely one-dimensional NPCs. It was a hack 'n slash adventure so that didn't end up mattering too much. But when a gay friend of mine joined the group, he began to feel kind of uncomfortable about how the lone gay NPC was being run. I made a remark to the DM about easing back on the gay joke stuff and the whole game dynamic went into a tailspin from there. Again, a group of professional guys who knew a whole lot about which fork to use and how to carry on polite, sophisticated social interaction.

So, while I take your point, I do think that sometimes all-male groups can fall into behaviours that end up grating on a female addition to the group because D&D has become their caveman social space. In such a space, men aren't behaving any more socially authentically or honestly; they're just putting on a different act for a different audience.
The men of EN World have been, with one or two notable exceptions, perfectly pleasant and willing to include any woman who shows up with warmth and openness. GenCon is really a safe and low stress environment if you hang with this crowd.
Agreed. It seems that female-friendly space is something more easily found than created at Gen Con.

freebfrost

Explorer
Buttercup said:
Bring that question on over to Circvs Maximvs and I'll answer you, sir. I can't do it justice here. Besides, the mods asked everyone to drop it. I've moved on, I recommend you do so as well. :)
CM should never be a recommended place for a civil discussion on ENWorld. If you can't hold an honorable discussion here in polite company, then there is no point to it. That's like saying, "would you care to step outside?".

Also, I find it hard to understand why there is so much reliance on CM these days for "alternate" discussions. How is CM "where the discussion is taking place," without participation from all but a few who frequent both boards? That's not a ENWorld discussion then.

As Stephen Colbert says, moving on...

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
fusangite said:
Remember that "all women are crazy except me" thread in the other place; that's what I was thinking of.
You may recall my connenting at GenCon that threads like that make me uncomfortable. I didn't participate, and I hope I didn't suggest that I think that way in this thread anywhere, because if I did, I've shamed myself.

Stuff about all-male group dynamics....

So, while I take your point, I do think that sometimes all-male groups can fall into behaviours that end up grating on a female addition to the group because D&D has become their caveman social space. In such a space, men aren't behaving any more socially authentically or honestly; they're just putting on a different act for a different audience.
I'm sure you're correct. I've never been unfortunate enough to find myself in such a game. Though I am the only woman in Ghostwind's campaign, and sometimes the testosterone can get a bit thick. Still, other than making me blush sometimes (Shut up, you! I do so blush!) I haven't encountered a problem. Certainly I've never felt slighted or degraded. Perhaps I'm just lucky?

fusangite

First Post
Buttercup said:
You may recall my connenting at GenCon that threads like that make me uncomfortable. I didn't participate, and I hope I didn't suggest that I think that way in this thread anywhere, because if I did, I've shamed myself.
Not at all. I was just pointing that out as an example of gaming women exhibiting pride in being "one of the guys." I recall you mentioning it as disturbing and so I thought I'd use at as an illustration of how women in gaming sometimes work to make the hobby a less female-friendly space because, in part, the charge they get out of their gamer identity is a felt superiority over other women that comes from this capacity to mix it up in testosterone-rich environments.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
fusangite said:
Not at all. I was just pointing that out as an example of gaming women exhibiting pride in being "one of the guys." I recall you mentioning it as disturbing and so I thought I'd use at as an illustration of how women in gaming sometimes work to make the hobby a less female-friendly space because, in part, the charge they get out of their gamer identity is a felt superiority over other women that comes from this capacity to mix it up in testosterone-rich environments.

Hmm. As usual, you make me think and rethink. It's part of your charm. :)

I think for me the charge isn't this feeling of superiority you speak of, though I'm sure it exists for some. For me it's completely different. See, I spent a the first 25 or so years of my life being a pariah because I was the smart girl, with the exception of one or two subcultures I got involved in (but that's a story for another day). Gamer culture has *embraced* me for being the smart girl. Or rather, *a* smart girl, because I'm far from the only one. So I've gained all this confidence, and now I just walk in, smile and get out my PHB and my dice, natural as anything. I've never felt so much like I belong in any other subculture, not even in my chosen career.

Now, I suppose it's possible that the acceptance is not for what I think it's for, and more because "OMG it's a GIRL!!!" But I'm pretty sure I'm not that deluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads