[GenCon] RPGA Events?

jaults

First Post
Can someone please remind me... how exactly do RPGA events at GenCon work? Are there prerequisites that I need before I should sign up for one (like, the D&D Open: Shards of Eberron), or can I just sign up, even if I've never played in an RPGA game before? And, while I'm here: are the "Open" events different somehow? I see that there is a semifinal and a final. I don't get it...

Thanks,
Jason

Fathead

First Post
jaults said:
Can someone please remind me... how exactly do RPGA events at GenCon work? Are there prerequisites that I need before I should sign up for one (like, the D&D Open: Shards of Eberron), or can I just sign up, even if I've never played in an RPGA game before? And, while I'm here: are the "Open" events different somehow? I see that there is a semifinal and a final. I don't get it...

Thanks,
Jason

The D&D Open is a tournament. You assemble a team (or are assigned to one if you're friendless). Advancements are posted at RPGA HQ. If you advance, you can play the semi final, and so on. The winners of the D&D Open generally get some decent prizes.

The D&D Open doesn't require that you have an RPGA membership, but other events do...although, as you now already know, the RPGA memberships are now free (they didn't used to be).

As for other RPGA events, any that say "Living" in front of it require you to create a character (starting at level 1). From that point on, you can continue to play that same character at later conventions.

The "Classics" are events that provide pregenerated characters.

Remove ads