General Discussion

GlassEye

Adventurer
You must have fulfilled all pre-reqs before you can take a level of the prestige class. There is a specific order when leveling up, so you can't use skills or feats gained at a level-up to qualify for a prestige class taken at that same level.

The Rulz said:
First, select your new class level. You must be able to qualify for this level before any of the following adjustments are made. Second, apply any ability score increases due to gaining a level. Third, integrate all of the level's class abilities and then roll for additional hit points. Finally, add new skills and feats.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Maybe I'll just make Francis John a multiclassed trainwreck. Maybe some bard, maybe some ranger, some fighter, a little swashbuckler thrown in. HAHHAHAHA

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Alright, after some more deliberation, I came to the conclusion that my previous post is a simply awful idea. I've narrowed down my next levels to 3 and 1/2 choices. I totally screwed the pooch regarding multiclassing a hard caster.

Rogue 3 / Witch 17
At least I get a level 9 spell by level 20 in theory. I'm guessing characters here at Living Pathfinder don't necessarily make it that far?

Rogue 19 / Witch 1
Kind of forget about the witch level (thanks for the +3 bluff and will save!). Soak up all of the skill points and rogue talents.

Rogue 3 / Witch 1 / Bard (Street Performer) 16
Ignore the witch level again. A good amalgam of casting and skills and other cool stuff. Won't get to level 9 spells anyway. Probably should have went with this instead of witch, or just bard (or sorcerer) from the beginning. Such a sucker for the viper bluff +3. Oh well.

Rogue 3 / Witch 1 / Bard (Street Performer) 6 / Arcane Trickster (Prestige) 10
Like the previous option, just with some added twist.

This is my first pathfinder character. Totally learned the hardway about multiclassing. I would be greatly appreciative of any and all insight!

Side question: What is everyone's opinion on Tomes and Manuals to improve stats?

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I guess it's about a balance between having fun with all the things you can do, and having fun with the things you can do really, really well... Satin Knights had a fairly effective 3 class character once upon a time, and had fun playing him.

I've retired a character at 13th and one at 14th. I'm running an adventure now with three low teen level characters. LPF has by far been the most successful play by post venture I've seen as far as leveling characters up, so it's entirely possible we could see some level 20s.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Druid rules questions for Autumn:

1) For wildshape, it says I can transfer into any animal known. How do I know what I can change into?

2) While wildshaped, can I still use my firebolt spell-like ability from the fire domain? Yes/no/yes with natural spell/no with natural spell?

3) If I wanted to cast spells while wildshaped via the Natural Spell feat, do I also need the Eschew Materials feat? (Edit: found the answer under Natural Spell. Nope, don't need it.)

Last edited:

Aura

Explorer
One of the problems with multiclassing, if you have any desire to hit things in combat, is the +0 bab at first level classes. They really add up. For the most part, I single class, but not exclusively.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Aura, good thing I have zero desire to send Francis into combat willingly! Really hurts casters though. I really like how the 3.5 Tome if Battle classes handle initiator levels. How they count all other non-adept classes as half when determining access to higher level maneuvers. Wish there was a way to port that to regular magic.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Druid rules questions for Autumn:

1) For wildshape, it says I can transfer into any animal known. How do I know what I can change into?

2) While wildshaped, can I still use my firebolt spell-like ability from the fire domain? Yes/no/yes with natural spell/no with natural spell?

3) If I wanted to cast spells while wildshaped via the Natural Spell feat, do I also need the Eschew Materials feat? (Edit: found the answer under Natural Spell. Nope, don't need it.)

1. Look in the bestiary. Anything that says "beast" (or animal?), but not magical beasts. Alternatively, look at the "summon nature's ally" tables. Most of those are animals you can use. Google Treant's Guide to Druids and he should have some advice as well.

2. I'm not positive on spell - like abilities, but I would say you could only cast with Natural Spell.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
One of the problems with multiclassing, if you have any desire to hit things in combat, is the +0 bab at first level classes. They really add up. For the most part, I single class, but not exclusively.
I have seen some effective multiclassinf in PFS, but it really requires fairly extensive system mastery and usually only involved level dipping and not true multiclassing. I don't pretend to have that knowledge and prefer pure classes anyway.

Remove ads